Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Access To Add/remove Programs - Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy V

Nancy V

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

Hi All,

I wasn't sure where to post this and if what I have is a virus or setting on my computer that I don't know about.

When I click on add/remove programs, a window comes up that says "This operation has been cancelled due to operation restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact the system administrator"

I thought I WAS the system administrator!! What's going on?

Thanks for helping the confused " )

Nancy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...t-computer.html

Worth reading, may not solve your situation.

Which version of XP is installed?

Louis

#3 Nancy V

Nancy V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

Hi Louis, how are you? I tried to read the info on the link that you sent but it seems like a lot of it went over my head because I had no idea what they were saying to change. I'm not totally helpless, but that one threw me off : )

It's Windows XP 5.1

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:37 AM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Remove Add or Remove Restrictions - #208 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Nancy V

Nancy V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hi Buda,

I didn't have any luck with that. I forgot to mention that I also have this popup that says something like "windows security alert, you may have threats, download spyware removal now" - that's a virus right? I need to find out how to get rid of that too....I'm a mess.

#6 Nancy V

Nancy V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

I just downloaded and ran Rogue Remover. I can't imagine it was that easy but that fake Windows Security Alert has not come back yet - that's good.

I still can't figure out how to get in to Add/Remove programs...it just won't let me. Same "see your administrator for access".

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users