Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 st0nedsk8er

st0nedsk8er

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:13 PM

didnt know where to post this, but i really need to know....

Is leaving your computer on for long amounts of time, like all night, bad for the computer in any way, shape, or form? cuz i dont really feel like coming up with money to fix it if it screws up on me..thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:31 PM

You pose a good question. A simple question with a simple answer.

No it will not harm your computer. I leave mine on all the time. Just set it to where the main hardware shuts off after a hour or so and it runs on little energy.

It will over time make it slower. You will need to restart often maybe once a day or so is good. That is how I do mine and have done it for a while now. Just give it a restart here and there and your set.

I know hibernation comes in handy on Xp so if you want to shut your computer down and restart fast later it comes up a whole lot faster.

Hope this helps on your question.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:38 PM

CGM is correct. Leaving your computer on for prolonged periods of time, will not harm your computer (although it may run up your electricity bill). Most computers/monitors are set to hibernate after a certain period of inactivity.
Rebooting your computer does reset the RAM and swap files, so it is a good thing to do it from time to time.
Personally, if I am not going to be using my computer for more than two hours, I turn it completely off.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:45 PM

If it helps any, many people will have different opions on this.

Some say that the majority of the damage is caused by turning on the computer. All the flutuations of power to different components. Similar to that fact that most light bulbs will burn out with you turn them on, as opposed to them already be on.

Other opinions include that fact that by turning off the computer every night, you give it a chance to cool down. Also included with this position are those who say that restarting the computer (at least once a week), allows Windows to make global changes such as updates, more effective.

I will tell you what I do. I leave mine on all the time-leaving in on all the time uses about the same amount of energy as 3-100 watt light bulbs (in my situation). Well, usually once a month to do mainteance, I restart the computer a few times in Safe Mode and run clean up programs and anti-virus.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 st0nedsk8er

st0nedsk8er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:21 PM

well i need mozilla to run all night..how do i make it so it automatically wont close everything

cuz i been running it all night for the past 3 days, and it closes up everything and just goes to the welcome screen..i have xp..and i need to know how to make it not do this

Edited by st0nedsk8er, 27 February 2005 - 11:25 PM.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:59 PM

cuz i been running it all night for the past 3 days, and it closes up everything and just goes to the welcome screen..i have xp..and i need to know how to make it not do this

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Power Options and you can set things to never shut off.

Note: XP's menus vary, but that should be the right place to look. (I'm using 98SE and can't check.)

Keep in mind that doing so may make your hard drive(s) run more and thus wear out faster, and that your power consumption will be more. That said, I get really annoyed when I'm running a scan or something and come back to the login screen. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users