Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistent Video File

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xray593

xray593

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

On windows XP I have a 32,072 KB Mpeg video file downloaded from limewire that I cannot get rid of. I right click on it but half of the right click menu functions do not display. All I can do is "open", "open with...", "burn", and "send to". I don't have the usual "cut", "copy", "rename", "delete", and "properties" choices. I tried to restore the computer to the day before the download, but it's still there in C:/docs and settings/owner/shared. Can I somehow use the "add or remove programs" ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

Hi xray593 and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Reboot into safe mode and try to delete it there. While you are the I would scan for infections, this is the best place to do this as there are a limited amount of applications running there, and I think there may be a possibility that you are infected.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

Two things for you to try... first off, are you able to drag it (left click-and-hold) into the Recycle Bin. Second, if that doesn't work, try this:

Download and install the "Open Command Window Here" powertoy from here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whi...wertoySetup.exe

Next, navigate to the docs and settings/owner folder and right click on the shared directory and hit "Open Command Window Here". Next (in the DOS window type in "dir /x" This will tell you the short filename of the MPEG file. Next try to delete it using del <filename>.

Then go and empty the recycle bin. If it comes back after that, then I would say you have a virus/spyware infection. In which case, you may need to boot into safe mode, turn off system restore, and delete it from there.

Edited by ND4SPD, 27 December 2007 - 11:21 AM.

#4 xray593

xray593
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions but I'm no expert and I might have implimentation questions. I forgot to add that I've run adaware, spybot, regcure, and mcafee scan to no avail if that's important.

#5 xray593

xray593
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

OK, I downloaded powertoy, right clicked on the owner file, hit "open command window here", and typed dir/x. I only got half of the files in the folder. I must have 800 songs in that file, alphabetized by group. The DOS list I got starts at the T's, leaving out the whole first half of the list which is where that pesky video resides. Any idea how to get the whole list?
Wait, I just took another look at the DOS list and it appears that I'm not getting a good look at the whole thing. The files are cut off on the left margin(partial titles) and there is an incomplete one at the top. Unfortunatly I have no lateral scroll bar, nor does the vertical scroll bar go further and I've blown the page up as big as I can, about half screen.

Edited by xray593, 27 December 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

in limewire/tools/options/advanced/system start up
turn it off/reboot?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 xray593

xray593
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

I checked and my limewire does not boot at start. I still can't get this darn video off. Could ND4SPD walk me through the boot into safe mode approach and delete method? Thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

Try this for info: http://www.aumha.org/a/stubborn.php

Louis

#9 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

Try the page mentioned by hamluis... some good utilites on that page. *if* they don't work you can go into safe mode this way:

Restart your computer and start tapping the F8 key. Unless F8 is used to signal your computer's BIOS to go into a special boot mode (i.e. bring up a list of boot devices) you should see a windows startup menu for troubleshooting.

Posted Image
This is from Windows 2000, but it's the same sort of thing.

Choose safe mode and let windows start up. You will probably be presented with the option to log in as administrator when the windows welcome screen comes up. Use the admin account unless it's password protected (some manufacturers supply their PCs with admin passwords and may or may not tell you what it is). If you can't use the admin, then just log in with your normal account. Chances are it isn't going to make a difference either way. Voilla you're in safe mode. Now just go into the directory where the mpeg file is and try to delete it using the right-click, dragging it into the recycle bin or highlighting it and hitting the *delete* key.

#10 xray593

xray593
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

Well, I think I got rid of it. Before attempting the more complicated suggestions (complicated for me that is) I tried transfering the video file to another folder but it wouldn't go anywhere. Plan B, I transfered all the other files from the "shared" folder into another, leaving the problem video file alone in the shared folder. I then deleted the folder. So far, I can't find any trace of it. It was a great comfort, though, knowing I had a few backup plans if this failed. Thank you all for your help, it was encourageing knowing you were there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users