Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raw To Ntfs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Precious

Precious

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:50 AM

Hi There,
I have a Sony DVD-RW and i was doing data back-up and decided to remove the current files from it and did a erase this CD-RW. Once done, tried to write files to it but was getting error. I decided to format the driver using the command prompt. However i got the following error "The type of file system is RAW. Please use the /FS switch to specify the file system you wish to use on this volume".

Can someone please help me convert it to NTFS or something so that i can use it and add files to my DVD-RW.

Amit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:28 AM

<<I decided to format the driver using the command prompt.>>

I've not heard of this procedure or seen any detail regarding such. Can you explain (in detail) just what you did...and what you were trying to do?

What program were you using for this backup?

What was the path for this "driver" which you were trying to format...and what command were using at the command prompt when the error message appeared?

Louis

#3 Precious

Precious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hey Louis,

I was trying to back up the data from my computer to a Sony DVD-RW. I went to start menu>run>command.... there i typed "format d:".
And it gave me the error as i mentioned in the post above. Its a D: drive. Its the Cd-DVD drive that i have. I am backing up data from C: (where i have Win XP installed) to D: Diver (CD-DVD Drive).

I wanted to back up my 3 GB of data on a Sony DVD-RW. I went to my computer and there i opened the D: drive (CD/DVD Drive). On the left hand side ( WIN XP)i had the option erase this CD-RD. I thought it would be a good option to do this and so i clicked on it and it came up with a wizard that said to click next to format. Once it completed, i decided to write files to this DVD.

When i tried copying the files to write them, i got the error that "THERE WAS A PROBLEM AND WINDOWS COULDNOT COPY THE FILES". It gave me 3 options there..IGNORE..RETRY..CANCEL. Ignore and retry didnot work as it came up coming with the same error again and again.

So i decided to run command from the start menu and then format the DVD disc. that is when i got that error.

I hope, that makes sense... if it doesnot please do let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Amit.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:17 PM

OK :flowers:.

I haven't done this in years, so forgive me if I'm wrong...

So you want to use the CD as a hard drive, which I think (unless something has changed) requires a packet-writing program (like Nero InCD).

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_burn_something_to_cd.html

All the info you need should be in that link, unless my brain cells are acting up again :thumbsup:. Please read the portions that pertain to using Windows/XP to burn and the portions that revolve around using a CD-RW as a hard drive.

Louis

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

Hi There,
I have a Sony DVD-RW and i was doing data back-up and decided to remove the current files from it and did a erase this CD-RW. Once done, tried to write files to it but was getting error. I decided to format the driver using the command prompt. However i got the following error "The type of file system is RAW. Please use the /FS switch to specify the file system you wish to use on this volume".

Can someone please help me convert it to NTFS or something so that i can use it and add files to my DVD-RW.

Amit

You just want to burn a DVD with your data on it. I wouldn't use InCD. It creates more problems than anything. Just use a program like Imgburn. On Imgburn site there's a forum with guides how to use build mode to create a data DVD for files instead of a video DVD. It's free too, which is always nice. :thumbsup: If it's an erasable DVD then the first time you try to use it in Imgburn it will probably want to format it. This might slow you down for 15 minutes but you only have to do it the first time you use a blank. After that they burn just like a DVDR blank 'cept you can reuse 'em.

The other thing is, if you're really worried about the data, erasable discs aren't all that reliable so it's worth using a DVDR blank. If you get 'em at someplace like Super Media Store or another online shop like Meritline they're about $.50 ea or less depending on speed.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#6 Precious

Precious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

I really wanted to thank all you guys who helped me sort out the problem that i was having. As suggested, i used Nero 8 to write the files to the CD and it worked for me. I wish i had that much of knowledge like you guys. Thank you MilesAhead & Louis. :flowers: :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

#8 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts