Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Networking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jen42

Jen42

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:02 AM

I want to set up a wireless network to connect our new laptop to the pc. The new laptop is vista, and it has the wireless adapter. But my pc doesn't. I currently use a speedstream 4200, I'm thinking of getting a WRT54G 802.11G INTERNET ROUTER. Is this all I would need to set it up?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

If you want your PC to network wirelessly, you will need either a WiFi PCI card or a USB WiFi adapter for the desktop computer. This hardware is only necessary if the desktop computer is deployed in a location away from the broadband modem | wireless router and you intend to connect to your home network wirelessly from the desktop.

USB WiFi adapters are relatively inexpensive (approx. $29.99-$49.99, depending on signal strength rating) and i would recommend purchasing one. It will always come in handy as a backup network adapter for a PC or laptop in case your hardline connection fails, your Ethernet NIC fails, or your cable somehow becomes unusable. Besides you might one day decide that you want to move the desktop computer to another location and you just don't have long enough cabling to wire your LAN - the USB WiFi adapter will come in handy then.

However, if you want your PC to connect to your wired LAN via Ethernet connection, you will need to ensure that you have Cat-5 cabling that is long enough to connect: (a) the desktop to the WRT54G wireless router; AND (:thumbsup: the WRT54G wireless router to the broadband modem.

Don't forget that once you have the WRT54G wireless router configured and your wireless network is setup, change the administrative username and password on the router's administrative maintenance page. This page is usually located at:

http://192.168.1.1

Hackers know this stuff already, they know the default administrative username and password, so do yourself a favor don't leave the backdoor open for them...
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:53 PM

I'm getting confused! Sorry. My desktop pc is already connected to the internet via ethernet. I just want to be able to get the laptop connected to the same internet connection. Is the WRT54G wireless router the wrong thing to get?

Thanks for your help

#4 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

The WRT54G should be sufficient if your laptop is already equipped with a WiFi (wireless) card. Once the WRT54G is connected, your laptop's built-in WiFi card should be able to detect it as long as it is in range.

Simply open up the Network Connections applet from the Control Panel. You will want to right-click on the Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks. It should show up as Linksys or something to that effect.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...

#5 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

So I won't need the USB wifi adaptr as well?

Thanks

#6 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

I thought I'd add that my laptop has Broadcom WLAN. I've been assuming that's what I needed here.

#7 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:35 PM

The Broadcom WLAN card should allow you to connect to a WRT45G wireless router - any network adapter that indicates WLAN means you can connect to a "Wireless Local Area Network". You should be able to pickup the signal from any wireless router within range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users