Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Virus/trojan/worm Is This?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mizz

Mizz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:56 AM

I came across files that are in my system32 folder from the virus that I got on my comp, ive finally been able to get to the desktop but these files (which when I perm delete they re-appear)
exe2bin.exe
fastopen.exe
dosx.exe
debug.exe
append.exe

Those are just some that ive found so far that come back when deleted. Anyone know what virus/worm/trojan that this runs under? Ive searched the registry and none of them are found in there either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

Those are all legit Windows files and you should not be deleting anything in your system32 folder without first investigating what the file is.

Anytime you come across a suspicious file, search the name using Google or the following links:
BC's File Database
BC's Startup Programs Database
File Research Center
ThreatExpert Malware Search
If no search results are found, you are given the option to "Submit a New Sample".

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

You can download and use Process Explorer or Glarysoft Process Manager to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file. To get a list of processes shown by Process Explorer, go to file and choose Save as... to create a log named Procexp.txt in the same folder where Process Explorer resides.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Mizz

Mizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

Thats just it, properties doesnt show who its made by. Just shows the size and date created. Basically this virus deleted the real exes and replaced with fake ones. I had to replace all sys32 exes, the virus deleted them again and put fake ones in again. So i got to find the name of it. Ill try the links posted and gotties page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users