Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebooting On Its Own

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IH8TSPAM

IH8TSPAM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:44 AM

I was on my computer, checking email, and it rebooted on its own. All of my icons were re-aligned to the left of the screen and my display picture was gone. I am not very computer savvy, why would this occur?

Edited by IH8TSPAM, 27 December 2007 - 01:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

a thought might be; if you were reading an email in ??OutlookExpress perhaps did it carry a bug you are unaware of? which windows version are you running and with what av and other protection?

#3 IH8TSPAM

IH8TSPAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:56 PM

I am running Windows XP and using yahoo for my email service. I had McAfee av but the subscription ran out, I also had AT&T online protection. I had some icons in the start up menu that said I needed to update. The At&T had the triangle with the ! in it. I clicked it and it took me to the newest update. I clicked install and it removed the old version, then in the middle of downloading it said error; the message I recieved was that the newest version will not be available until Jan. 25th, 2008. I am in the process of following instructions for removing all of the bugs as presented in the Windows forum, here. Now, I am installing a new av program from the list. I have scanned and removed 351 threats, I have defragmented, and my computer is so much faster!!!

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:12 AM

did you have both Mcafee and AT&T active and running at the same time?as that would doutless have given you problems ; from then you would appear to have been running unprotected?

Have you also completely updated your Windows XP and got the SP2 on it?

of interest,what protection programs have you so far chosen to scan with and which free antivirus program have you chosen?
Have you also taken system restore point NOW and you will need to take one also when you have finished all the scans; might be useful to know what the scans DO find to know which direction to point you in to get you complelely clean and back in full control again :thumbsup:

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

IH8Spam, just so you know you posted this in the Windows98 forum not the Windows XP forum. Also, your System Restore points will be infected with viruses aswell (The Restore points before the date that the viruses were removed.) So you should delete them so they dont come back.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:38 PM

Viruses and spyware can easily cause a system to reboot at random.
Clean those off first & see if the problem goes away
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users