Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Windows Media Player 10 Install Over The Top Of Vers. 9?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

I just installed XP Home SP2 fresh on my new laptop and did all the Windows Updates, and I see that I have Windows Media Player 9. I had WMP 10 on my old laptop, and I want to go to that. I'm downloading WMP 10 right now from the Microsoft website, but I have some questions.

1. Do I just double-click the WMP 10 .exe once I have it and it will install over WMP 9? Or is there something else I need to do first?

2. I noticed that I had no sound in my .avi files in WMP 9 -- will installing WMP 10 correct that? (It said I was missing some kind of audio codec.) The files play fine with sound on my old laptop with WMP 10.

3. I also noticed that WMP 9 keeps trying to connect to something (shown in ZA) every time I open it. WMP 10 did not cause this to happen on my old laptop. Is there some setting that I need to change to stop this? (It might just be trying to access something on my computer. I'm not sure... But I did uncheck all the boxes for the highest privacy in all those options that come up when you first open WMP 9.)

Any help is appreciated -- thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:07 AM

Yes it does but you can still re-install WMP 9 if you would like and yes .avi files do not have audio with out the proper codec which I could not get work properly but could work fine for you the best way to find out is to try.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:44 AM

I found a codec that works:

http://www.free-codecs.com/AC3_Filter_download.htm

...I chose the "AC3 Filter 1.11 final" and now I have sound. Hope that help!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

The attempt by WMP to connect...is probably for updating itself (or checking for such), IMO.

Regarding firewall settings, I allow anything Microsoft to connect...it's the programs/.dlls that I choose to monitor for outbound traffic.

Louis

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:33 AM

The attempt by WMP to connect...is probably for updating itself (or checking for such), IMO.

Regarding firewall settings, I allow anything Microsoft to connect...it's the programs/.dlls that I choose to monitor for outbound traffic.

I saw in ZA that WMP was trying to access the loopback adapter, and then the IP address was actually listed for Microsoft Hotmail (but at least it was MS, I guess). So I think that was probably okay? I allowed it one or two times, then I removed it from the Program Control again and for some reason it now has stopped asking to connect every time I open WMP.

How do you monitor the programs/.dlls?

And was there any reason why it would have been better to just stay with WMP 9 instead of updating to 10 like I did? (I had 10 on my previous computer...)

Thanks!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:06 PM

My 3d-party firewall (and many others) allow the user to control what items connect to the Internet, among other data. In my case, each attempt by a program is reflected and I have several decision boxes in a matrix whereby I decide if I want to allow unfettered access to the Web or not.

On attempts to connect where such permission is not on file, the firewall will alert me and I will do an on-the-spot determination.

As for WMP 9 and 10...I now use WMP 11 and I don't really remember the differences between any version, since I only want minimal support from WMP.

Generally speaking, deciding version of programs is a beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder thing for me. When it comes to updating (after becoming aware that an update is available), I update. If such causes me problems of any sort, I un-update :thumbsup: and go back to what worked without problems.

Except for critical updates, of course...I just install those without worrying.

Louis

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

I only want minimum anything from WMP, that's why I didn't update to 11, because I think that has iTunes, which I definitely don't want! :flowers: :thumbsup:

I believe my ZA 6.5.737 does the same thing you're talking about. It was a Program Control (that's what told me WMP was connecting), so I'm guessing it will also tell me about .dll's that try to connect...

Thanks!

#8 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:50 PM

I only want minimum anything from WMP, that's why I didn't update to 11, because I think that has iTunes, which I definitely don't want! :flowers: :thumbsup:

Actually it does not it has the ability to use online music stores from within it self but I do not know if iTunes is one of them

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

WMP 11 doesn't have iTunes. It does have something called Urge but I don't think it does anything unless you register for it.

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:35 PM

But am I okay with 10, or is there a reason to update to 11?

And can you easily go back to 10 if you do so?

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:45 AM

My experience is one day you'll want to play something on WMP and it won't play because you don't have the latest version. So my policy is to have the latest version at all times. I've had both so I don't see much difference between the two and your concern about iTunes isn't true anyway.

#12 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

My experience is one day you'll want to play something on WMP and it won't play because you don't have the latest version. So my policy is to have the latest version at all times. I've had both so I don't see much difference between the two and your concern about iTunes isn't true anyway.

That makes sense. I'm in the other camp that doesn't like to update a program until I have to (either for functionality or security). I've got WMP 10 all patched according to Windows Critical Updates -- so is there any security reason that I should update to 11? (Otherwise, I'll probably wait... :thumbsup: )

#13 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

There are no security reasons that I know and beyond that its just some extra features and the new GUI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users