Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7... What Do You Think?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:36 PM

Hiya,

In October 2007, Microsoft distinguished engineer Eric Traut appeared in an online presentation and described something called MinWin, a component of Windows 7, the next desktop version of Windows. This revelation received massive news coverage in the tech world as it was the first time anyone from Microsoft had provided concrete details about Windows 7. But MinWin itself was interesting as well: According to Traut, MinWin was part of an effort to make Windows smaller by isolating the central binaries of the operating system into a bootable, usable core that, today, occupies just 25 MB of disk space! That's pretty impressive when you consider that the Windows Vista install image is over 4 GB in size, while the Windows Server 2008 Server Core image is about 1.25 GB.

With Windows Vista finally behind us, it's time to turn our attention to the next Windows client release, which is currently codenamed Windows "7", though Microsoft has used other code-names, like "Vienna" and "Windows Seven" in the past. Despite an almost complete lack of verifiable information about this next major Windows release, there is an excellent reason to begin discussing this project now:

->Microsoft isn't particularly interested in discussing Vienna. "The launch of Windows Vista was an incredibly exciting moment for our customers and partners around the world, and the company is focused on the value Windows Vista will bring to people today," Kevin Kutz, a Director in the Windows Client group at Microsoft said on February 13, 2007. "We are not giving official guidance to the public yet about the next version of Windows, other than that we're working on it. When we are ready, we will provide updates." This quote was provided after I wrote a WinInfo article denouncing recent news reports about Vienna, all of which provided absolutely no new information at all.

Clearly, what's needed is a central location for accurate information about Vienna. IT IS HERE
What would you like in Windows 7? There is a list of planned improvements Here(Its Looooooong) :thumbsup:

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:09 AM

Windows 7 Vienna? Not going to use it, with the crap from Vista (the Windows ME follower) I'm going Mac, and if i don't like Mac OS X, at least it won't go to waste, i can install XP on it. But I'm gonna love it i am sure.

On topic, the most number one thing i would love for an improvement, less background processes, by god, they make the system slow at boot up, even with 2GB of ram. I'm sick of waiting 1 minute 30 seconds every time compared to a mac around 20 seconds apparently. More themes as standard especially for the Premium and Ultimate editions and some different sound schemes for boot up and shut down. More stable, sick of "Not Responding" messages.

#3 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:16 AM

Windows 7 Vienna? Not going to use it, with the crap from Vista (the Windows ME follower) I'm going Mac, and if i don't like Mac OS X, at least it won't go to waste, i can install XP on it. But I'm gonna love it i am sure.

On topic, the most number one thing i would love for an improvement, less background processes, by god, they make the system slow at boot up, even with 2GB of ram. I'm sick of waiting 1 minute 30 seconds every time compared to a mac around 20 seconds apparently. More themes as standard especially for the Premium and Ultimate editions and some different sound schemes for boot up and shut down. More stable, sick of "Not Responding" messages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users