Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Reboots At Last Known Config Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lady_Of_Chaos

Lady_Of_Chaos

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

This is kind of complicated but I will try to explain all the steps I have tried .

I have my friends computer because it kept rebooting on her , couldnt load windows .

2 ghz celeron
Foxconn 651M03 Mobo
2X 256 MB PC2700
40 Gb Hitachi Hdd
DVD Rom
350 WT PSU
Conextant Modem

Xp Home Edition

1) Have tried a repair of XP Home
2) Tried complete reinstall of XP
3) Swapped out rom drive with new
4) Swapped out / Subtracted memory chips
5) Swapped out Hdd
6) Swapped out ALL cables
7) Reseated and cleaned heatsink
8) Swapped out PSU

All fans work , temp is very cool inside of case .

On installation of Xp , was receiving ntdll.dll error BSOD , after swapping dvd rom drive , was able to complete install of xp , system was up and going for approx. 1 hr before rebooting and displaying black screen to choose safe mode etc .

After reseating heatsink , same thing occured.

After swapping hdd , same thing occured .

Now I am lost as to what could be the issue . I pressed F8 on boot and disabled the system restart on failure , but that doesnt change it , it still just keeps rebooting . The only thing I havent tried was swapping mobo/cpu but that would mean purchasing them and I dont wish to spend the funds if that isnt what is wrong with the system .

Any ideas would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:31 PM

When you swapped out the hdd did it already have a OS installed on it and was used in another computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lady_Of_Chaos

Lady_Of_Chaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:48 AM

it had been installed in my own pc but i reformatted it because I purchased a 250 gb for myself . So I know it was a good solid working hdd .

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:50 AM

There is a complication with the IDs in the registry for the chipset of you computer and the IDs that new chipset of the other motherboard will conflict confusing the OS and may not even start. This could be why it failed.

You can go to the web site of the hdd that in the computer and download their diagnostic tool and run that to see if the problem is the hdd. The system will boot from the CD so the CD-ROM will need to be the first boot device. You can also download Memtest86 and run it to determine if you have a RAM problem.

Another option would be to install your hdd and wipe it with a utility like KillDisk and then install the OS on that drive and see what happens.

Edited by dc3, 27 December 2007 - 01:52 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Lady_Of_Chaos

Lady_Of_Chaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

I have already ran the manufacturer test on both hdd's and mem test , plus i stressed the cpu for about 12 hrs - everything passes , no defects , no corruption - nothing

I also used the hdd program to wipe the drive before I placed it in the computer - otherwise nothing in the system has been changed (except for testing , but then was put back when there was no change)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

Background info: http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?t=669 and http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/showthread.php?t=19223

Seems that others have experienced the pain you feel...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users