Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Fan

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dukestreetkings

dukestreetkings

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:10 PM

I have a 2 year old Antec True Power II 550 watt power supply (out of warranty). The fan inside is creating a grinding sound (I assume it is the ball bearing). Anyways, I took apart a ps and looked to see what type of connection it is (drained caps first). Basically, it has a positive and negitave(red + black) going from the fan to the psu, and a blue and black going from the fan to the motherboard. My question here is if I can buy a 120mm fan and replace the one in the power supply, but instead of using the internal connection in the psu, just wire the fan through the psu casing straight to the 3-pin motherboard connector. That way I could control the fan speed and not having to worry about cutting an soldering. Thanks in advance.

PS. if this has already been asked I am sorry. I am a newb. (1st post) And I spelled Supply wrong in the title.

Edited by KoanYorel, 27 December 2007 - 02:12 PM.
To edit post title for member

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karthik upadhya

karthik upadhya

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

Hello...

Wat i would recommend is to use one of the 5V connectors of the PSU itself as the input to the fan instead of taking it from the mobo....

the 120mm fans i hav in my comp came with a connector similar to the connectors used to power the HDD / CD drive

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

If you are going to replace that fan you may as well just clip the leads at the old fan and solder them to the new fan. You have already done the hard part just accessing the fan.

When you do replace the fan make sure that the direction of rotation is the same and observe the polarity if it applies.

Edited by dc3, 26 December 2007 - 11:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dukestreetkings

dukestreetkings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

Yeah, but my reason for not wanting to do that was that I wanted to be able to control the fan from the computer. I didn't really want to have an external control unit either. Just something I am able to control with something like speedfan. One more question, I assume the yellow wire on fans is the positive wire that monitors the rpm's of the fans. My psu has a black and blue wire coming out of it that is supposed to allow you to moitor the fans. I suppose again that the blue wire is the fan rpm control also. So if i were to spice the wires, could I splice the yellow into the blue, hook up the fan to my power supply (red + black inside the supply) and then run the wires (blue/yellow and black) to the motherboard?

If you are going to replace that fan you may as well just clip the leads at the old fan and solder them to the new fan. You have already done the hard part just accessing the fan.

When you do replace the fan make sure that the direction of rotation is the same and observe the polarity if it applies.

So you think I should get a fan and just forget about the speedfan control? Or should I do what I mentioned above with the yellow/blue wire?

Edited by dukestreetkings, 26 December 2007 - 11:33 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:31 AM

What is the make and model of the PSU? How many wires are there connected to the fan in the PSU and what color are they. How many wires are there on the replacement fan and what color are they.

If you only have two wires on each then there you can just connect the two sets of wire and observe the direction of the rotation, if it is spinning the wrong direction reverse the connection.

If you twist off the ends of the wire and solder them don't forget to tape them off so that you don't accidentally short anything.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

Maybe I'm confused
"Fan Only power connectors allow True Power to control case fan speeds, reducing total system noise"
So if that's already an option, just wire the new fan like the old one
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 dukestreetkings

dukestreetkings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

Maybe I'm confused
"Fan Only power connectors allow True Power to control case fan speeds, reducing total system noise"
So if that's already an option, just wire the new fan like the old one
Mark

No, I was talking about controlling the power supply fan, not the case fan.

What is the make and model of the PSU? How many wires are there connected to the fan in the PSU and what color are they. How many wires are there on the replacement fan and what color are they.

The original fan had 3 wires coming out of it: red, black and blue. The red and black were going to the pcb in the power supply via a 2-pin molex connector. Then there was a red and black wire(the psu pcb black and motherboard black ran to the same point, hence why there is onlt 3 wires out of the fan, then splices to four:2 blacks, red and blue) coming from the fan that would run to the motherboard and connect via 3 pin female molex. The second black wire was just spliced into the first. I don't know if that makes sense, it is hard to explain. Black=motherboard and powersupply ground...red=power supply positive. And blue, I assume was a rpm control + for the power supply fan.

The replacement fan has 3 outputs, red, black and yellow. Is the yellow the same as the blue?

Edited by dukestreetkings, 27 December 2007 - 02:16 PM.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

If I read the connector diagram on the Antec website the power supply already plugs into the motherboard for fan speed monitoring. I can only guess that the blue wire is the speed monitoring wire, you could test the wires with a voltmeter to be sure.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

My thinking is the motherboard doesn't monitor the power supply temp. and has no way of knowing when it's working harder and needs more cooling. Maybe I'm out in left field
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 dukestreetkings

dukestreetkings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:36 PM

My thinking is the motherboard doesn't monitor the power supply temp. and has no way of knowing when it's working harder and needs more cooling. Maybe I'm out in left field
Mark

Yeah, now that I think about it, unless there is some sort of tempature gauge on the fan I wouldn't think that the blue wire to the motherboard would be able to sense the temp. Maybe it could control the speed, but not the temp. I guess I should probably get a fan and connect the red and black to the power supply pcb and just forget about the blue and black monitoring wire to the motherboard. I have a cheap sleeve fan lying around that is fairly quite, does anyone have any suggestions about a good cheap fan for a powersupply.

Edited by dukestreetkings, 27 December 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

Sorry guys, I some how managed to miss the obvious mention of the make and model in the first post. :thumbsup:

http://www.antec.com/us/support_productInf...p?ProdID=22552#

FAQ
5. What does the 2wire/3 pin connector do? Where do I connect this to my motherboard?

What does the 2wire/3 pin connector do? Where do I connect this to my motherboard?
That wire is the fan sensor. It will report the speed of the power supply fan. You connect this to one of the fan connectors on your motherboard

Edited by dc3, 27 December 2007 - 11:55 PM.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:35 AM

:thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +