Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiping Out Windows?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gotts123

gotts123

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

I have lost all hope for this round of windows XP, I am seriously considering wiping out windows and reinstalling it on my computer. I was wondering if it is usually successful or is it even worth it? It does seem like a good option right now. If I do decide to go through with it, what precautions/measures do I need to take before I begin, and what programs or files or drivers should I get that I may not have access to during the reinstallation?

Thanks ahead of time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

Well, the only reason I do reinstalls of XP...is when I run into a problem (file system corrupt or something like that) where I just feel like I don't want to take the time try this and that.

Other than that, I leave it alone because it works well for me.

What problems do you think your XP has that require a clean install?

Louis

#3 spaceship9

spaceship9

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

I'd try fixing the problem :thumbsup:
You might learn something and it can be a lot easier all things factored..
Pretty much everything on your computer you wont have access too if you do a fresh install since your formating the drive.
And it should always succeed since a fresh install is like on a new drive. So long as you do what's logical nothing bad should happen. Especially with windows, designed for minimum clicks and minimum knowledge

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:47 PM

What kind of problems are you having?

In answer to your question, you should back up all of you important files to a removable storage media like a CD or DVD. You will need the installation disc for your OS and any drivers that you have for any peripheral devices, printer, scanner,... If you have infections I would suggest that you wipe the hdd with something like KillDisk as a format will only remove the file addresses.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 gotts123

gotts123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

Well, the only reason I do reinstalls of XP...is when I run into a problem (file system corrupt or something like that) where I just feel like I don't want to take the time try this and that.

Other than that, I leave it alone because it works well for me.

What problems do you think your XP has that require a clean install?

Louis

I have had a really big problem with the windows installer and every possible fix that I have come across on the internet has not solved the problem. This has left me without the ability to install or uninstall some things for several months

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

Have you run any scans for infections?

Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see what errors are appearing at those times?

When you try to uninstall something are you doing it in the add/remove programs, and what happens when you try?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 gotts123

gotts123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:46 PM

I have run lots of scans and have removed anything that those scans can catch. When I try and install a program I get an error that says the installer service could not be accessed. When I try to re-install windows installer I get the error "setup could not verify the integrity of the file update.inf. make sure the cryptographic service is running on this computer."

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:03 AM

Check that the Cryptographic Services service is running. Go Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Right-click on Cryptographic Service and select Properties. If the service is not shown as "Started", you can start it by clicking the Start button. You should also set the Startup type to Automatic. If the Cryptographic Services service was already running, stop the service by clicking the Stop button. Using Windows Explorer, locate the folder C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 and rename it to something like xcatroot. Now restart Cryptographic Services by clicking the Start button.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

The purpose of these forums is to help folks with their computer issues - so we'll work on fixing this until you decide that enough is enough (or until we run out of ideas). For a lot of the people here, troubleshooting details like this are fun (and in my case, it's a substitute for having a real life! :thumbsup:

Some people just aren't thrilled at spending weeks troubleshooting an issue with their computer - so it's your choice when to throw in the towel, format the hard drive, and reinstall Windows.

And, FWIW, we'll help you out with that also. That's why we're here.

A short story here (feel free to fall asleep during it, most people do!):

Years ago I was in charge of a Supply department in the US Army. The Supply techs (3 of them) had just spent 3 weeks entering all their inventory into a new logistic program that was designed to make everyone's job easier. Then Windows crashed!!! The Supply Sergeant called the IT folks up and asked him what to do. His response was "format and reinstall".

At this point the Supply Sergeant went ballistic!!! The IT guy didn't know how to recover the data (he knew Windows well, but not a thing about MS-DOS), and the Supply Sergeant didn't want to lose his data. So, they brought it to me to decide.

I walked into the supply room with a DOS boot disk, booted to an MS-DOS prompt, and typed in "win" (without the quotes) and pressed Enter. Windows booted up and the Supply Sergeant was able to recover his data.

The point of the story is that a "format and reinstall" can fix almost any problem - but the associated costs may not make it worth it. I am against the "format and reinstall" as a fix until all other avenues have been pursued. And, lately, I always try to precede the format and reinstall with an attempt at a backup - so that way the people that we're helping won't be left without anything for their efforts (like my Supply Sergeant).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 gotts123

gotts123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, I have been trying off and on for about half a year to try and fix these problems, spending hours probing online forums and asking different people for ideas, but I have never come across a solution that has worked for me, and after this long without being able to fix the problem I feel that this is the only measure left to take, thanks a lot for your input though.

I think I have confidence in doing the clean install now, but I was wondering, do you have access to the CD drives when you have wiped out all the drivers on your system?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

All optical drives use a standard driver provided by Microsoft and installed initially to ensure operation of CD/DVD drives.

You say that you've tried everything reasonable to solve your situation...did you include doing a repair install among those efforts?

Louis

#12 gotts123

gotts123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

Yup, I already tried that, and it didn't fix anything, although it did leave me with a few more minor problems.

So if everything is wiped out a boot disk on CD will still work?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

Yes, it will :thumbsup:.

The MS XP CD is, in fact, bootable and will load the driver for the CD/DVD device automatically.

Louis

#14 gotts123

gotts123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:17 PM

Alright, sounds good, so I think this should work now, thanks a lot everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users