Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Detect Digital Camera Hardware

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jtt331

jtt331

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:56 PM

I don't know if there is any way I can explain this without rambling on or getting confusing, but I'll try. I have a Canon Powershot S3 IS camera. When I bought it, I had a problem getting the software to work on my computer (Windows XP), so I just used my Picasa software to download the images and movies. I have been doing this for almost a year now with absolutely no problem but about two weeks ago, the movies stopped downloading. So I tried once again to install the Canon software and the disc runs with no problem. The software is installed with no problem. But when I go to connect my camera the "new hardware detected" message never pops up, thus not allowing me to finish the downloading process. If I go straight to my windows and double click on the icon, nothing happens. Also, if the camera is connected to the computer and I double click the icon in my C folder for the camera, the movies show up there, but I cannot save them to my computer. I get an error message that says "the i/o operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request". I have used the usb port for other things so I know that it is working and my camera downloads the pictures, so I don't believe it is an issue with that. I really am baffled. Please help. Thank you so much in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

Have you tried running the Camera/Scanner Wizard by going through Start/Control Panel/Printers & Other Hardware/Scanners & Camera?

Louis

#3 jtt331

jtt331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

I just went there and the only thing that shows up is an icon for my printer. There is nothing there for my camera.

#4 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

I would uninstall the Canon software before running the Scanner and Camera Wizard.
Software for cameras (any) seem to take up a lot of space and are unnecessary with XP.

I have a Fuji and just plug it in and the download wizard runs. I have never installed the Fuji software.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

You have to look in the left column and click on Add An Imaging Device (which brings the Wizard into action). Make sure that the camera is connected and on.

Louis

#6 jtt331

jtt331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

Okay, I connected my camera and used the wizard to try and download the images. It downloaded the pictures fine, but once again, when it came to the movies, an error message popped up. This one says, "the current picture could not be copied. to copy this picture click 'try again'. To skip this picture and copy the rest of the pictures, click 'skip'. To stop copying, click 'cancel'.

#7 jtt331

jtt331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

Btw, just a side note to let you know, I brought the camera and its software to my mothers house yesterday and tried it on her computer (she has xp also) and it worked on her computer. So I know that the camera and software itself can work. So it has to be an issue with it's connection to my computer. But like I said in my previous e-mail, I just downloaded another software for my daughters camera and it worked fine. And before you ask, my problem started before I downloaded my daughters software, so I know it's not a conflict of the two. :-)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:56 AM

OK :thumbsup:.

I just tried my digicam's movie function yesterday (first time) and everything worked as it should. I attached the camera, went through the Wizard, downloaded all the files (.mov and pictures) I wanted, deleted the rest...and my camera is good for another round.

If I had received the error message you have appeared to receive, my first thoughts would have been:

a. I don't have enough free space on whatever drive/partition I'm trying to download to.

b. The .mov file is corrupt and XP cannot do anything with it, other than delete it.

Yesterday, I saw two posts in this forum that bespoke of corrupt files on memory cards, so it just might be a corrupt file that you have experienced.

Nothing but guesswork on my part.

Hopefully, someone is closer to the truth than I can be.

If you were capable of downloading same file on another system, then that would seem to point to your download location. Could be insufficient space, could be that the drive/partition needs error-checking and/or defrag.

I don't know of any "setting" that would/could vary from system to system regarding downloading of images/files from cameras. I suppose that a driver or some system file could be corrupt on your system...in which case, sfc /scannow would be a potential solution.

Louis

#9 jtt331

jtt331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for all your responses. Louis, I thought I might have run out of space also. I checked and I still have more than half my space available. I even went back and deleted some of the videos I already had on my computer. It just really doesn't make sense when you look at it. Oh well, I guess I'll keep trying stuff. Thanks to everyone who responded.

#10 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

Have you tried re-installing the camera software? Maybe the installation has become corrupted. You might be able to do a repair install without having to uninstall first. Just run the install CD and let it do what it wants to.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

You said it worked at your mother's place. Does she also have a printer hooked up to her system? My daughter's Sony kept wanting to download to the printer instead of the computer
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 venez68

venez68

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:28 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my camera, and am looking for some help.
I'm running Win XP Pro SP2, and the camera is a Canon PowerShot A710IS.
I connected the camera to the pc using the supplied usb cable, and the found new hardware icon appeared.
I then get to the found new hardware wizard where it instructs me to insert the disc that came with the camera, so i do so and click ok. Then it tells me to insert my win xp pro cd and click ok so i do.
Then i get another message telling me that files are needed "some files on Win XP Pro are needed, insert the disc into the selected drive below then click ok. I do this click ok and nothing happens. I cancel everything then the icon pops up telling me there was an error and that my new hardware may not work correctly.
I also tried going to control panel/scanners and cameras but Canon is not included in the list.
Am i missing a step somewhere or do i need to install a separate driver?

thanks
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

To the second poster: I think you need to read the whole thread to see what you need to do.

Louis

#14 venez68

venez68

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:58 PM

I read the whole thread and still no luck.
I installed the software from the Canon cd first, then connected the camera and still got the same message asking me to insert the Win XP Pro cd.
Then with the camera connected to the pc i went to the add hardware wizard again, clicked on the canon icon and a message came back that said "drivers for this device not installed" (code 28).
I thought the drivers for such devices are automatically installed on XP?
If not where can i download the driver needed to access the pics from my camera?
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

In my experience (which is limited), any drivers needed are contained in the software CD supplied by the manufacturer.

You can always go to the Canon website and see if there are other/additional downloads available for that particular item.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=14117

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users