Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Outage - Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thom--

Thom--

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

After a power outage my computer has been running extremly slow (109 minutes to uninstall Quicktime). At first, it corrupted my user account, so i made another account and thought that would fix the problem but it didn't. Also, after the outage my computer screen has dimed quite a bit and can't be fixed with messing with the color. I don't know what to do besides reformat.. Any other suggestions could help me out greatly. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,383 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

Well...the problem with a power outage situation is that such can corrupt many files...and the only way to "tell" it's file corruption is just from the symptoms evident and the fact that all else can be ruled out.

If it were me, I'd just do a clean install and minimize the self-torture. I don't tolerate a system that is not performing well, usually because I know that I'm the cause of the malperformance :thumbsup:.

Just my take...others will probably have more ideas/suggestions.

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:25 AM

Try running the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

About a year ago my wife's office had a bad power surge that damaged several computers in her office. One computer was acting strangely and we performed a repair install of XP on it. It was slow for a while thereafter - but eventually came around (with a bunch of work). It still has some "quirks", but nothing that we can't work around.

Looking back at this, I realize that I should have opted to backup the hard drive, then reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP (actually, I would've just restored an image of the drive from before the power surge).

FYI - the systems had surge suppressors on them. But the first lightning strike took them out. When the power came back on, the systems booted back up - then another lightning strike hit and took the hardware out! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Thom--

Thom--
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

I tried the System File Checker (SFC) and all files were fine. I might just have to reformat.... Any more ideas?

Thanks for the replies

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

Have you tried checking for errors using ScanDisk? Try schedule an error scan on boot-up and see if that helps?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,383 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

Brings up a good point...any maintenance (chkdsk/defrag) done routinely on this system?

Any error messages in Event Viewer that need some attention?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users