Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Accessing Vista Shares With Through Osx Issue

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jasonistaken

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

This is a problem I've been struggling with for about a day or so now, and I can't seem to figure it out.

The premise:

iBook G4 running OSX 10.4.11 cannot reliably connect to smb/cifs shares hosted by a new PC running Vista Ultimate x64. Connects, mounts and authenticates just fine, and I can browse directory structures ok, but whenever I try a large data transfer, it drops the connection randomly and completely loses the share. So, I'm not able to transfer files or stream video/audio reliably.

I can do the same with my laptop accessing shares on an XP computer with no problem whatsoever.

Both the Vista system logs and OSX's syslog and smb logs show nothing out of the ordinary at all, also tcpdump shows normal usage.

I can only surmise that this is some sort of protocol conflict between Vista's SMB and OSX's SMB. I've tried disabling QoS in the Vista network adapter properties, and it doesn't solve the problem. I've also updated the firmware on my Linksys WRT54g, which doesn't help. Google offers no solutions to my problem.

Oh, and I have changed the Vista security policy to try and use LM and NTLM before NTLMv2, as outlined in some Vista/OSX sharing issues. But, that's not the problem because authentication is fine.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users