Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Running Batch File, I Can't Get Into The Folder Where It's Located!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

Ok, so I know i was pretty stupid to run it, but it didn't look so bad, especially since it was possible to abort the command anyway.

Here's the code:

So basically, this code's supposed to give me 13 seconds before I shutdown my computer. Now, the code to abort it is "shutdown -a", which I did, but now I can't get into the Start Menu folder under All Users. I'm pretty sure my computer will try to shutdown again when I restart, since it's in my startup, so how can I get rid of this?

Edit:
Btw, I forgot to mention that not only does it freeze up, it seems to redirect me to some microsoft software protection link

Edit again:
So I booted up CCleaner and it seems like it didn't get copied into my startup? I had run a batch file before that was called "himao" (which was in the startup and so I deleted it), so I'm not sure if I need to post a hijackthis log or anything for anyone to confirm if this batch only did try to shutdown my computer.

Edited by Grinler, 27 December 2007 - 11:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

I removed the batch file from your post so others do not inadvertently try to play with it.

All that batch file did was copy itself to the all users startup programs folder, hide itself, shutdown your computer, display the message "CRITICAL COMPUTING ERROR!
Just kidding it's a virus.", and then start clock.avi which is on all Windows XP installs (maybe other versions).

Is this what happened on your computer? If not, and if you cant find the file in your all users startup folder, then its probably something else that is causing a problem on your machine. Do you have all the windows updates?

#3 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

Yea, I ended up reversing all of the changes (deleting the file in my startup) and it somehow also hide half the items on my desktop. I suppose that attribute command was to blame?

Either way, problem solved! Sorry about posting the code!

Thanks!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

Yup the attrib command with out a file specification will hit the entire folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users