Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 xvr11

xvr11

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

Sup guys and gals!

My problem: I went to msconfig, and I believe I messed with the wrong file and now my computer won't start. I turn it on, but then it doesn't go to the usual Windows XP screen. I may have did something to the bootup file? Anyways, I seen this link posted on here about 10 ways to rectify this situation. Some may apply to me, but Im still confused. So I decided to sign up here and ask questions for help.

I don't want to lose my harddrive, so I need a solution. Options: Reinstall the bootup or start up files? I thought about taking the harddrive out and putting it into another computer and saving the files that way, but I dont know how all that works. I also thought about an enclosure drive but I'm low on cash to buy one. And then theres the recovery discs that came with the computer, but then that wipes out the harddrive.

Can anyone help me please?

Oh, I appologize if this is in the wrong section.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:35 PM

Well...the first step would be to inform us exactly what you did...and why...before deciding to post here.

Your initial post doesn't really provide the kind of detail that many of us probably need.

What setting did you change...and why?

Since the system does start...what screen does it then reflect?

Louis

#3 xvr11

xvr11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:50 PM

I went to start, run, then typed in msconfig. Then went to the BOOTUP tab, and Ive done it before, removing things that start up when I dont want them to, such as aim, or yahoo messenger, programs n such. This time there were 2 or 3 ACER programs. Acer is the brand of my computer, so I figured I could rid of some extra programs that were starting. Didnt think they mattered that much. So next time I turn my computer on, ACER flashes across the screen, then the screen flickers, and then stays black. In the past, the screen would flicker, then WINDOWS XP would show up, well not any more. I've tried running safe mode, wont start up. Tried running "use last good configuration" , wont start up. I then found this link on here. Link to helpful webpage

#1 may seem to work, Windows startup disk, i dont think I have that.

ETC ETC, windows recovery disks, I dont think I have them.

I have 5 discs I got with my ACER computer, all probably used for reformating a computer.

Need to know anything more, ill be here lol. I need to get this problem fixed.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

OK...know anyone with an XP CD (same version as yours, hopefully with SP2 included)?

You can use their CD and your Acer license...to access the Recovery Console on the CD.

From there, I would suggest running the chkdsk /r command, as a 1st step.

I don't think that any program headed by Acer should have prevented booting, but I don't know. Running chkdsk /r would be a start at putting things in the right order, IMO.

Louis

#5 xvr11

xvr11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

I suppose I could find someone with a copy of XP. Acer license>? How do I use that ? I guess ill find someone with XP first and see if i can use the recovery tool. Does it have to be a valid or genuine copy of XP? I know someone who has a pirated version of it. He puts together computers himself and installs his own thing.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

Any information discussed in this forum relative to installing XP...is always based on the assumption/presumption that the user has a valid license to do so.

Forum rules have a few words to say about such, if you care to read them.

If you don't have a valid license to install XP on your system, that's a problem. We are not talking about whether your friend, your brother, etc. have valid licenses, only you.

Louis

#7 xvr11

xvr11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:54 PM

Yeah my copy is genuine. I did that genuine advantage update that came out a while ago.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

Once you get hold of the XP CD do the following:

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

If this doesn't resolve the problem repeat the above but type: fixboot

Edited by Budapest, 27 December 2007 - 10:41 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 xvr11

xvr11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

Thank you for help, I havent done it yet. Still trying to get a hold of a XP disk. Now if I do what you tell me to do, I will still have everything that was on my computer? Like this doesnt erase anything?

#10 spaceship9

spaceship9

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:12 AM

fixboot fixes boot :thumbsup:
doesn't mess with any files

if your computer does require a reinstall, make sure your case has the OEM sticker with your OEM XP license. Since XP came with your computer, you're friends CD will most likely NOT work with your license since the license is OEM and his CD will probably be Retail or XP Pro. If he managed to do the "difficult" and illegal task of getting an XP cd he'll probably be able to get an OEM CD. Your license requires an OEM CD to install.
Computer manufacturers should just jack up the price a bit (if your buying a $400 computer, you probably can afford $450) and include a retail XP license and the installation CD >_>

#11 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:18 AM

Are we sure this is a software problem?
I have shut off everything in my start up tab and the machine booted up fine.

xvr11 writes ... I've tried running safe mode, wont start up. Tried running "use last good configuration" , wont start up.

This suggests that windows is coming up but cannot continue (i know DUH!)

This same thing happened to me one time and it turned out to be a bad stick of RAM.

just my two cents
bob
Where ever you go.................. There you are

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:25 AM

Just a clarification...using an XP CD with a valid license for either install or repair purposes...is NOT an "illegal" activity.

Using an XP license on one system...to do another (secondary) install of XP on a different system...is illegal.

The CD is just media carrying files, a facilitator for installation of the O/S.

As long as the version remains the same (Home CD for Home repair/install, Pro CD for Pro repair/install), there is nothing that could be construed as illegal going on.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users