Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powersupply Problem? Comp Shutdown/restart On Its Own

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jourosis

jourosis

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

Seasons greetings everyone.

Right now my desktop has been acting up, only as of late. It started as just randomly deciding to restart on its own. Not doing anything that's extra rigorous. Half the times were when playing Counterstrike online, and the other times I did have some type of media playing. (but that's almost always on my computer). Recently it started hanging on the startups after the reset. A few times the monitor would stay black, other times it would start up in BIOs setup saying that startup failed on the previous attempt due to CPU running at an incorrect speed. This past time it restarted, it couldn't boot up. It sounded like one of the fans kept trying to start up and was running very slowly with occasional revs. It never got up to full speed though. (Either PS or CPU fan, not sure which). Turned off the power switch and then back on after a bit and same results.

When the system resets, comp beeps ~2x sort of like it's screaming and/or an alert. Doesn't really sound like a patterned diagnostic sound. Screen flashes once and then basically freaks out and no comprehensible image is displayed.

I'm thinking Power Supply or CPU, vid card, memory in that order. Maybe HD?
Specs:
everything was bought summer '03

Antec sonata case
stock 380W PS
Asus P4S8x mobo
P4 2.53GHz processor
1g corsair ram (2x512)
ATI Radeon 9600SE vid card
2x80g HD NTFS formatted
CDRW and DVD optical drives- nothing to do with them
Creative Audigy sound card
Only other PCI cards are a usb2.0 card and a tv-tuner card (not used)

Running: WinXP Pro SP2

Any help would be great, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

OK.

Can you boot into XP?

Do you have an XP CD?

What programs are installed to defeat malware of any kind?

Is XP up to date for critical updates?

Louis

#3 jourosis

jourosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

Can't get the computer to even start up at the moment. Did figure out that it's the power suply fan revving up and down, along with the case fan. CPU fan doesn't move. So can't boot into anything right now.

But yes it is fully updated and I have several programs on there for that purpose, names escape me for now.

Edited by jourosis, 26 December 2007 - 03:35 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:39 PM

Hmmm...not a good sign that the CPU fan is inert, while the others are active.

To my untrained mind, that appears to be an overheating problem, not a PS situation. Although I've had one of those in my 11 years of fiddling around/learning, mine never reached the point of incapacitating my system.

Think you probably ought to wait for some inputs from the more experienced persons who visit.

Louis

#5 jourosis

jourosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

Doing a swap of PSU just to try it out right now since I have one on hand. The only reason I suspect the PSU is due to my HDD and power lights on the front of my gas blinking on and off as the PSU fan revs. Overheating was a thought of mine, but even with the case open and an external 8" fan blowing in same thing happens. Although could be something to do w/ the heatsink on the CPU then. We shall see what anyone else has to say. Thanks for the input.

#6 jourosis

jourosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

Swapped seemed to work, booted up w/out a problem multiple times. STarting a new thread re: power req's for my system and whether my new PSU is adequate. Mods feel free to close if you like.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

Nice work, good luck.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users