Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Or Shareware Partition Recovery (urgent)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

My Windows XP hard drive is unbootable. I used Iolo's System Mechanic to create a bootable DriveMedic CD, and it diagnosed it as having a corrupt partition table. (This fits with all the other evidence I got over the last 2 days.)

For some reason, DriveMedic crashes when I try to fix the partition. I have a call in to Iolo for help, but a response could take days. Because time is of the essence I'd like to find an alternative.

Can anyone recommend a partition-recovery program that could work? I'd rather not pay for it because I already paid for System Mechanic/DriveMedic. (If Iolo can't get it working, THEN I'll consider paying for a new app.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hey shawnvw, there are two methods that spring to mind. Both require you to have your original XP CD on hand.

The first is to use the XP Recovery Console on the install CD. Visit this Microsoft Article for instructions on how to access the recovery console (skip down to the "How To Use The Recovery Console" section).

Once in the recovery console, type:

fixmbr

and press enter. This should write a new master boot record and partition table. CAUTION: If you have an unusual partition table then you should consider using the next method first!

Reboot as normal.

Method 2:

Using a tool called TeskDisk.

(The below instructions require the use of the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, a free boot CD. It takes a little work to build it but is really quite easy.)

We're going to try to repair the master file table and the boot sector on the misbehaving drive.

In UBCD4Win, launch the TestDisk program:

Posted Image
I usually select No Log, but it's up to you.

Here we see the disk selection screen. It might look slightly different on your computer, drive X: is the temporary RAMdisk, just ignore it.

Posted Image

Next, select your system type (Intel, even if it's AMD):
Posted Image

Now select the Advanced option
Posted Image

Now, select the boot partition, there's probably only one. Then, select Boot and press Enter.

Posted Image

Now to rebuild the Master File Table. Select the Repair MFT option and press enter.
Posted Image

Type "Y" for Yes
Posted Image
Posted Image
OK

Now, back at this screen to repair the boot sector., select Rebuild BS and press enter.
Posted Image

After completion, reboot back into the UBCD4Win and run CheckDisk. When done, boot normally and see if Windows works.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 26 December 2007 - 02:52 PM.

#3 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:49 AM

I followed your kind instructions. Everything seemed to be fine right through to the successful Chkdsk run. Unfortunately, now the computer freezes while booting, right after the Dell logo and before the Windows logo. I tried going to the Boot Device Menu (F12), and tried "Normal", "Primary Master Drive", and "Hard-Disk Drive C:". All of them freeze.

I tried booting from the Windows XP disk. I get a message "INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missin, status 47872. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

Any ideas?

Edited by shawnvw, 27 December 2007 - 04:13 AM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

Oh dear!

When booted from the UBCD4Win, are you able to access the file on the hard drive?

#5 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

The situation has changed somewhat, so I'm going to post a new topic called "Repair Windows from Other Drive.". Please meet me there. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users