Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Networking

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brian123

brian123

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi, I have been trying to connect wirelessly but I can't figure out why its not working. When I plug it in directly to the modem, it works fine. I don't know if i even have wireless networking hardware. Can anyone tell me how to check if I do, and how to connect? Also, does a WAN miniport (PPoE) replace wireless hardware?

Edited by brian123, 26 December 2007 - 01:44 PM.

"To give anything less than your best
is to sacrifice the gift."-Pre

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

Well are you working from a laptop or a desktop computer?

Most laptops nowadays come from the factory containing a WLAN (wireless LAN) PCI card, unless you specifically request it not to. Older laptops may have been built before WLAN and WiFi was popular, and may not come equipped with a WLAN card.

Desktop computers can come with a WLAN PCI card, you would know this because on the back of the tower you would see a PCI card with a connector for screwing on an antenna or dongle connecting to an antenna.

If you are still unsure, check your Network Adapters node in the Device Manager:

Start >> right-click My Computer >> select Device Manager >> check Network Adapters

If you do not have any additional LAN cards (i.e. WLAN), then you should only see one network connection, which would denote your wired LAN Adapter which is what allowed you to connect to your modem to you computer. If you see other adapters which indicate WiFi, WLAN, or wireless network connection, then its safe to say that you have wireless hardware already installed on your machine.

To connect to a wireless router or WiFi access point (AP), you will want to work through the Network Connections applet.

Start >> Control Panel >> Network Connections

-OR-

Start >> Run >> ncpa.cpl

You want to work with the item that indicates it is your wireless network connection. You will need to be in range of the wireless router or WiFi AP - your modem may not be equipped with a WiFi AP and that may be the reason that you are unable to connect wirelessly at home. If you right-click on the item, you should have a menu which gives you a choice to View available wireless networks. Select one from this list that is closest in range, or that you are permitted to connect to, and click the option to Connect.

FYI WAN miniports are usually meant for use with a VPN (virtual private network) connection and the PPoE indicates the protocol that it uses for that connection - which is Point-to-Point over Ethernet - which is indicating a wired LAN connection. However, if you have the VPN client software installed on your machine, and you are using a WLAN connection to get to the Internet, PPoE can be utilized via your WLAN connection.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users