Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Smart Is Xp?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 truchas48

truchas48

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:15 PM

Problem: The graphics display on my laptop is quitting on me. About every other time I boot up, the display won't come on
and I get a 1 long beep and two short beeps error. (graphics) The laptop is a HP Pavilion running XP home.

My wife has agreed to give me her laptop which is exactly the same as mine. (not free - I have to buy her a new laptop) I think that
if I swap the hard drives, I will be back in business.

Question: Is XP smart enough to know that I have swapped hard drives and if so, what kind of problems should I expect. I am hoping this
will work, I really do not want to re-install everything and I am not ready to go to Vista.

thanks -

t

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

Because of the difference is the chipset and their IDs from the old laptop and the ones that it will see with the new laptop it will not know which ones to use and may not even open. There are two articles that explain it in some detail, you can read them here and here.

One solution would be to purchase an exterior enclosure which will connect via USB, that way you can transfer your files to the other hdd and use it for back up or extra storage. I would suggest purchasing one that has its own power supply so that it doesn't draw off of the resources of your laptop.

Tiger Direct has some that you can check out, Newegg is another place that you may want to check out.

Edited by dc3, 26 December 2007 - 12:33 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 truchas48

truchas48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

thanks dc3 - I believe you just saved me a major headache. On to plan B. I have an external backup so it shouldn't be too bad.

t

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:06 AM

How to move a hard drive or swap motherboards with XP already installed: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

This has worked for me in the past - but I've always used similar hardware (which, I suspect, may affect my results).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users