Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Some Websites Not Opening

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hey, I can't seem to access www.orange.co.uk or www.google.com. I haven't been able to connect to the Orange site in a while now and google has just decided to stop working. I've looked on sites about not being able to access certain sites and nothing has helped so far.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can fix this?
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

Do you have a Linksys router?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:20 AM

No, I'm using a Net gear router.

#4 SuzanneMarie

SuzanneMarie

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:36 AM

Hi Danbrownlow :flowers: Is Your ISP Virgin/NTL? Because I have a Netgear router on Virgin....and I'm constantly having problems getting to Igoogle, I have it set as my home page and sometimes it will load up straight away, sometimes it tells me Internet explorer cannot display this page, when I'd click on diagnose connection problems Vista tells me it couldn't find the page because the host is down...or that it couldn't find it because of a DNS Server problem. :thumbsup: Is that the problem your having??? I think I'm going to try changing my DNS Servers see if that helps(I only started having the problem since I changed ISP's this month)

#5 ivy-1

ivy-1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:37 AM

Hi there

I have read about this problem before - as I had this problem.

I take it your broadband supplier is Orange!

They have issues! Take a look at Orange Problems website there is lots discussed on there about this issue. You need to do some tweaking from what I gather...

I will take a look and see if I can find the exact thread for you and post back (use their search in the meantime!).

I had to change some settings and afterwards all was working well again. Unfortunately, Orange do not tell you this information on their supposed technical support line. Strangely enough, the orange problems website does work even though orange's doesn't!

Edited by ivy-1, 30 December 2007 - 06:38 AM.

#6 ivy-1

ivy-1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:44 AM

I found the thread:

Problems accessing certain websites

Hope this helps!

#7 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

Hey all, thanks for the help. I'm actually on AOL when I'm at home.
I've tried changing the MTU value in my router config to 1400 instead of 1492 as I heard somewhere that AOL used 1400, but the default value on the router is set to 1492. Apparently, the AOL servers can handle most of them but some can't. Anyway, after applying the changes and rebooting the router, I'm still having no luck. Orange.co.uk is constantly not working, however, earlier I couldn't get on www.bleepingcomputer.com, now I can but can't access www.tvguide.co.uk. It seems to be fairly random in the websites that I can't access.

Anyone got anymore ideas?

Oh, by the way, I'm accessing straight through the router, but when my brother tried accessing orange.co.uk through the (horrible) AOL browser, he was able to connect to the site, although when he used Firefox, he couldn't. Not sure whether this will help anybody find out what is wrong?

Edited by danbrownlow, 01 January 2008 - 02:33 PM.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

maybe barking up a wrong branch of a tree :thumbsup: but might it be that you have too many firewalls running? on your profile you say you are on Norton AV with macaffee firewall PLUS you are on XP AND a router; that makes a possibility of FOUR firewalls?

and are you sure you only have Macaffee firewall and NOT the whole av as well? :flowers:

and , who says you HAVE to go through the dear old AOL browser;why not merely use IE?

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

I think it may be a firewall (or in your case, firewalls!) I have noticed that my firewall will block some websites from loading aswell. Try changing the settings in your firewall by adding sites that you can trust that wont give you spyware into your Trusted websites list. Hopefully thios should work.

PS: Before I forget, just add those two websites that dotn laod to the trusted websites, not any others. :thumbsup:

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

this is http://www.orange.co.uk/ orange .co.uk
this is

http://www.google.co.uk/ google .co.uk

BOTH of which I for one have NO problems accessing with MY (ONE) firewall in place

suggest you check to see what firewalls you DO have active?

you should have ONE in your windows version, ONE in your router, ONE in Norton and ONE in Macfee; BUT only ONE is required
also; if you have a router, is IT covered by an antivirus protection? you COULD have a wee touch of overkill on board on both counts of firewall AND av protection :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users