Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Something I Shouldn't Have

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:40 AM

Was going thru all the .exe rubbish in my processes, because AVG came up with an bug repoty,with the help of BC I made a list of the bad processes that needed dumping. I usedAutoruns to find the baddies and chose to "Delete" so they wouldn't run at startup. Upon scanning with AVG, I was told that "Shell32" (?) has "Changed" (won't let me reverse it or do anything to..well..change it back) and when I make a mistake or whatever, instead of a windows "bing" (lol) I get a internal beep.... :s This could just be the start of my problems. Welp. What has Turi done this time??

Edited by groovicus, 26 December 2007 - 01:15 PM.
Keep title family friendly

Crazyness comes to those who wait

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

Mum just discovered we have no sound at all. Just the beeps wth errors...

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

Try a system restore, pick a date prior to the changes you made.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore. Click on "Restore my computer to an earlier time.", pick a date that show as one of the larger sized numbers and follow the prompts.

Edited by dc3, 26 December 2007 - 11:44 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

I know how to system restore, was gonna try it but for some reason it doesn't work on our computer. There are no save dates. Well, I'll try it anyway :thumbsup:

#5 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:55 PM

Argh! Nothing. My system restore is always turned off so I can't restore. Even if I chose to turn it on, the next time I try, it won't let me.

Just realised, my computer does not recognise ANY hardware. Printer, speakers naddating. Just my monitor, kboard and mouse thankfully.

However
I need the printer! And sound...but printer because my mother is about to book a flight and will need to print off the booking ref! Arghhhhh

#6 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

Hi Turi,
do you have the 'installation disk'?
if so,
Try running the System File Checker (SFC) to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If SFC discovers that a critical system file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder.
You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD ..so have it available.

Use Task Manager ... New Task... and type: sfc /scannow
(or you can use the 'Run' command)

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /.
This command will initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files.

Edited by Starbuck, 28 December 2007 - 02:17 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#7 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

That might be a problem if you use a modified shell or any system file for that matter. Common things like the Vista transformation pack upset the SFC by changing uxtheme.dll and explorer.exe.

If you are sure it was shell32.dll that got changed you could just grab that off your XP disk and use the replacer to patch it. Its a straight forward command program. Of course to be safe if you don't know what your doing just do what Starbuck suggested and replace any modified files after the SFC has put XP back to its original boring state.

Also go Run->Services.msc and scroll down to Windows audio - restart it (might have got disabled?)

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#8 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:31 AM

):

I don't have an XP disk.

Any everyone I ask seems not to have one either.

Any other clues?

#9 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:17 AM

OK Well I just did that scan, which took some time.

Then the lil window closed, and nothing else has happened. No error messages, no advice on what to do, not even results.....

My computer is going extremely slow, and I've had a DrWatson Postmortem Deubugger error message pop up.

:thumbsup:

#10 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

Ah! I have just found my insallation disk!

As well as a Dell Dimension ResourceCD (drivers,diagnostics and utilities and computer documentation)
A Dell Demsion "eurotools" disk.
One with all my windows modem software on.

And for monitors, my old printer, etc.

However, as I have said, I ran the scan which took some time and there was no outcome of this.

Further help, thanks in advance

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:42 AM

I like the link Tomo provided...but I would never install unsupported software (who/what do you turn to when it goes wrong?) software I have no familiarity with.

Louis

#12 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

That's what I was worried about :s

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

What is this "installation disk"....is it an XP CD or is it a restore CD that just puts everything back to ground zero?

If it's an XP CD, you could try doing a repair install of XP. This would replace any missing/damaged system files and leave your data files intact. You would have to go to WinUpdate to reinstall all critical updates issued since the cutoff date of that CD.

Louis

#14 Turi

Turi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

It's an XP disk. How would I go about doing this?

I have a Dell, I was thinking about restoring my PC back to factory settings. Wha do you think?
It is a lil run down atm

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:38 PM

My approach is always:

a. Whatever problem it is...I try to see if I can cure it by a repair install before I do a clean install. When I decide to do a repair install, I've already tried all the tricks that I know, read up on the problem, and have convinced myself that a clean install is the ultimate real solution. But I try a repair install, just in case it does the trick.

b. Ultimate solution, if it's a system problem. Will not solve hardware, program conflicts, drivers, malware, and self-inflicted wounds which are a normal part of my computing experience. But it's the last stop for this train (since I normally don't have any of the others).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users