Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Brand Of Desktop To Go For?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Krassotti

Krassotti

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

Hey guys,

thinking of upgrading my old machine by simply buying a new one.

What are currently the most reliable, best bang for your buck machines out there? I don't really play games anymore, so I don't need some insanely specced system.

Can't go wrong with a Dell I suppose? Which one of their offers is most attractive?

Many thanks,
Krassotti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

I went with a compaq and there all right but now after reading on how to build my own comp i probably wont ever buy one again just based on the fact that all new comps have limited upgradability and in my opinion go out of date quickly depending on what you get.

But over all i havent had any problems with my compaq and i have been able to upgrade it very easily. Compaq's come with alot of programs and software that you dont need and tons of trial software so i wasnt happy about that.

I would look on ebay also they sell many computers that best buy and circuit have for less.

Edited by Lucky23, 26 December 2007 - 01:52 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

I would say Dell, from what I have heard they are really good. :thumbsup:

#4 srtony8

srtony8

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:06 AM

Please do not buy a compaq! I have a friend that fixes computers and most repairs are on compaqs and HP's. I have had a Dell for 4 yrs and have had no problems. My son still has my old Dell.

Edited by srtony8, 29 December 2007 - 03:09 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:36 AM

I work with Acer, Gateway, eMachines, Dell, Sony, Toshiba, HP, and Compaq on a regular basis - with other makes thrown in for a bit of spice now and then.

The most serious issues that I've seen are with Sony laptops - not that they're any less reliable, but when they break they're a bear to get fixed properly (both through the service center and on the bench).

The most common brand in for repair is HP - but when compared with their sales that's not all that surprising. Dell's seem to be just as good/bad as any others. I shy away from Acer desktops and laptops - too many issues with them when they first had Vista (but that seems to have died down now that it's been out for a while). My favorite is Toshiba.

It seems (IMO) to boil down to 2 things:
1) You get what you pay for - an inexpensive computer just isn't as adaptable to your needs as a more expensive one would be. And you're purchasing a computer with a view to the future - will it do what I need it to do in a couple of years?
2) There are lemons - make sure that there's some sort of protection for this in the warranty.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:22 AM

More and more, the major manufacturers of desktops provide (relatively) the same configurations, quality, and level of customer "service." Dell, HP, and (recently) E-Machines are comparable if you are looking for a general use computer ( no need for high-end graphic cards, etc.), so your real decision need only be price (and perhaps amount of RAM), and many companies will be marking down "last year's" models after Christmas, so you may find some great prices.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

im not saying compaqs are the best but i haven't had any problems in the 2 years ive owned it.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users