Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

We have a new dell laptop - I have unstalled the usual preloaded crap that came with it using the proper unistaller for the anti virus and installed ESS Suite.

My problem is that the first start up of the day is problematic. It loads fine until the password screen and then once I have entered the correct password the screen corrupts and the system would appear to lock. I reset the machine and this time when I put in the password it starts up fine.

The event log is not showing much but as the layout is different to XP I may not be reading it right.

What could be the problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:47 AM

In Event Viewer you just have to burrow a bit deeper. Go down below Windows Logs to find the usual logfiles.

Try updating your graphics drivers to the latest version available from the manufacturer of your graphics chipset (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:25 PM

I updated the Intel 950 Graphics driver on my Acer laptop with Vista and got a BSOD. Had to uninstall and roll back to previous version of drivers, in safe mode. What a pain!

So, be careful about upgrading drivers for Vista, at the moment. I am only applying security updates at this time. I hope to hear that the Graphics driver problem is resolved but haven't seen anything yet.

DR

#4 The Gorilla

The Gorilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

Try updating your graphics drivers to the latest version available from the manufacturer of your graphics chipset (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc).

It's already running the latest. A bit of google reveals that this is a little problem.

Quick call to Dell and we have agreed that a new graphics card and motherboard will do the trick.

Thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users