Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarttiL

MarttiL

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:33 AM

Hello All,

I want to backup a partition (D:\) to an external hard drive
before tinkering with the internal hard drive which is partitioned
with BootItNG.
I tried to copy/paste (CtrlC/CtrlV) D: to the external drive but I get
the message "cannot copy pagefile.sys, used by another person or program"
and then the process halts.
So I need advice on how to make this backup without having to copy and
paste each individual folder one by one.

Thanks,

Martti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:43 AM

Try using a backup program, here is a link to cobianbackup, it's a free backup program. I've not used it but other people here have used it and like it. You can find other free programs in the "All other Applications" forum here. There is a thread for freeware... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:10 AM

You cannot just "copy and paste" program files and O/S files. Tobackup these files requires a special program, typically called a backup program or a cloning program.

The copy/paste routine works fine with data files (or any other files which happen to not be system files or program files).

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:51 AM

Just copying your entire hard drive to another device will not preserve the OS. The OS relies upon too many factors for a straight copy operation to work (SID's and the boot sector are the most troublesome aspects that a copy won't do right)

Basically it works down to the difference between backing up your data - or imaging your hard drive. The difference is that you can't easily backup programs - because of their SID's, their entries in the registry, and their files located in different areas of the hard drive. But you can image your hard drive - and that will provide a bit-by-bit copy of the contents of the hard drive - which you can use to restore your system back to the state it was in when you created the image.

You cannot (without special tools) copy things that Windows is using - because Windows demands exclusive access to these files while it's operating. The pagefile.sys file is one of these files.

For backups I'd recommend SyncBackSE or Cobian (both freeware). For imaging I can't recommend a freeware program because I haven't used any of them (although you can usually get a disk cloning program from your hard drive manufacturer for free) - I use Acronis True Image for my disk imaging (about $50 US).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 resra

resra

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

I am in a similar position to martii and have found the replies here and elsewhere on this forum really useful but I still have a lack of understanding about backing up and imaging. My problem is I want to reinstall windows xp home edition as I have been told to do so to fix a problem with my touchpad by the pc manufacturer.

I can easily backup my data files, photos, music etc using copy and paste to an external hard drive. What I want to do now, and any time in the future if I have a problem that needs a windows re installation, is easily reinstall programs and updates to programs (and windows updates if possible) without having to reinstall them all one at a time from cdís and downloads. I think the advice from usasma is saying I need to use an imaging program like acronis true image, but will this not take a whole complete image, including my current dodgy touchpad problem? Or can I use the imaging program to copy just the applications back across after I have reinstalled windows?

If a backup program such as Cobian is not suitable for backing up applications, what is its advantage over just using the copy and paste method? I have never used Cobian or True Image do I need one or both of these ie a backup and an imaging facility or is there a better method? Also I have read the Microsoft help pages about Ntbackup.exe but it is not on the windows recovery cd supplied with my pc. Is it any use for my needs if I can find a copy? I really want to get into a regular backup routine once I get my current problem sorted, for data files and more importantly for resetting my pc back to its normal self after any disasters. I would really appreciate any help on the best way to do this.
ps This is my first ever post on this or any other pc forum so I hope someone can help!
Eric

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

Using NTBackup in XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

Using XP Backup - http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:u1Ryg...+disk&hl=en

WindowsXP Tips, Installing NTBackup on XP Home - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255

Louis

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

If you want to mess with windows or any other such thing, you do need an imaging application.
When needed, the entire previous state of the computer is brought back, untouched.

A good utility such as Acronis True Image, in addition to imaging, does allow you to selectively restore bits and pieces (if you know what you're doing). And of course it permits you to backup anything you want separately.
There are other imaging applications, Norton Ghost is one of them. I'm not familiar with it, but my Restore CD, the worthless XP SP1 disk by now, is nothing but a ghost image.

Image takes in used space to backup the exact contents, so that restoreing is possible.
Cloning is a different concept. That's the sector-by-sector copy of the hard drive and is usually used when people want to replace a drive by it's complete clone.

NTBackup should be on your restore CD under a Value Add directory.

To just backup some files, copy and paste is the easiest method, in my opinion. One disadvantage is the size. Winzip or some other compresing type backup might be useful.

Why reinstall the whole Windows just to repair touchpad? Doesn't the manufacturer provide touchpad driver? I would think a windows reinstallation with its hundreds of fixes and patches, plus the need to reinstall all applications and tweak their settings, is an absolute overkill and bad advice.

#8 resra

resra

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the reply hamluis I have had a look at the links but what I would really like to know though is, is the windows xp backup facility any good or not compared to the other options mentioned?
Thanks also tos226 it sounds like the True Image package or similar is what I need. I came across one called Paragon Drive Copy in PC World today any one know if this is any good? The ntbackup.exe is definitely not on my pc or setup cd and I have looked in the valueadd folder and ran searches for it. I am not sure if I really need it though if I am going to buy one of the above.
The problem with my touchpad is it is hyper sensitive and has a mind of its own sometimes, apparently there should be a touchpad control panel which lets me change the sensitivity which is not installed. When I looked at the Synaptics website for drivers they recommend not using a generic driver but getting a customised one from the manufacturer. The manufacturer (RM) help desk told me to reinstall windows to fix it. I agree it does sound a bit of overkill, but thatís what they said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users