Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lg 18x Super Multi Dvd Rewriter Freezes Computer On Dvd Access

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 spaceship9

spaceship9

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:07 AM

I got a new LG 18x Super Multi DVD Rewriter (model GSA-H54L) for Christmas and it reads all CDs fine
However when I try to run a DVD through it, the drive spins up for a few seconds and then the read/access light blinks repeatedly nonstop and when I try to access the drive through the computer, explorer freezes. In the Taskmanager I see a new task titled "Sysfader" and it starts as already not responding..
I'm running windows XP sp2 latest updates. The drive is certainly plugged it perfectly since CDs burn and read just fine. I have tried the drive with and without the software bundle that comes with it (Nero 7 Premium/InCD and PowerDVD) and there are no drivers to install as far as I can tell. I can boot DVDs perfectly, it seems only access in Windows freezes it and the OS. When I have a DVD in the drive during initial BIOS checking, the drive also hangs the BIOS check until i use the emergency thing to push out the drive (with paper clip)
Help! I really need to use the Dual layer support and look forward to testing the lightscribe feature (regardless of the price for disks using either or both of those features)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:28 AM

Do I have this correct, you are trying to watch a DVD movie when you have this problem? What program are you using to watch the DVD?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 spaceship9

spaceship9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:31 AM

It doesn't matter what I put on the DVD, the drive and computer still hangs on access, regardless of whether it's a mass of music, a movie or just some programs.
There are no programs I'm using to watch the DVD as I can't even access the drive

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:52 AM

Have you checked in the device manager to see if there are any problems with the drive? If you click on the + in the square box to the left of DVD/CD-ROM and then click on properties what does it say under status? Is the a yellow question mark next to the drive or a yellow triangle with a exclamation mark?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 spaceship9

spaceship9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:56 AM

Nope. The drive shows as fine in the device manager

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:18 AM

I took a quick look around and it looks like the chief complaint about this drive is the firmware. It's getting close to my bed time here so I'm going to leave this to you to search for. Try updating you firmware.

#7 spaceship9

spaceship9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:20 AM

There was no firmware for the drive =/

#8 spaceship9

spaceship9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:36 AM

I can't seem to find much in review on this drive anywhere =/
I'll point out that the GSA-H54L is the IDE/PATA version of the 18x Super Multi DVD Rewriter, NOT the SATA version (though apparently the SATA version has the same problem)

Edited by spaceship9, 26 December 2007 - 04:38 AM.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:43 AM

How can the drive boot a dvd but hang a bios post?

Is the drive on a new 80 conductor cable by itself, jumpered as master and at the end of the cable?

What burning software came with your computer?

Uninstalling certain programs does not remove filter drivers from the registry, they are like virus's(ii)

Incd is the worst program Nero makes

Roxio/Sonic/Itunes is the worst software for messing up your computer relating to optical drives

Edited by DaChew, 26 December 2007 - 05:44 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 spaceship9

spaceship9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:29 PM

the BIOS check where it lists the drives and system specs
if I put in the DVD before that, it hangs on "Checking IDE" for about 2-3 minutes then finally goes on, but if i put in the DVD right after BIOS check of drives, it boots the disk fine.
The drive is on a cable with the hard drive with appropriate master set to hard drive and slave to the disk drive. My motherboard was meant for SATA and has 4 sata ports and only one IDE port (though i do have a PCI IDE adapter)... If i want to boot the disk (which i do) I have to leave it as slave because the PCI adapter can't boot drives.

Nero express came with the computer though that was removed a long time ago

I'll go through the registry and see if there are any remnants of Nero or InCD

I also have iTunes however during installation i set it not to be associated with drives or anything other then playing my music

#11 spaceship9

spaceship9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

also, if nero is bad
any suggestions to a good free burning app that has the capability to burn all the drive's supported types?
DVD+/-R
DVD+RW
DVD-RW
DVD-RAM
DVD-ROM
DVD+R DL
DVD-R DL
CD-R
CD-RW
CD-ROM

also, any Lightscribe apps?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

I did some more looking and it has been suggested that you can use the firmware update for the GSA-H55L, you can download it from here.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

also, if nero is bad

reread what i said

I have done thousands of burns with nero, incd is packet writting software and should be avoided with xp and above

to see what's running on your system bus

http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/about4719.html

http://www.bustrace.com/products/devfilter.htm

the best burning software that's free is Imgburn

you can use the firmware update for the GSA-H55L

pretty sure that's a tricky crossflash, but probably the best idea if all else fails, you will void the warranty

Edited by DaChew, 26 December 2007 - 01:12 PM.

Chewy

#14 spaceship9

spaceship9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:56 PM

I've tried uninstalling nero with the cleaning tool just in case (since I have the CD anyway to reinstall it) and that apparently did nothing to solve the problem as the disk still hangs...
As a last resort I will try the firmware update since it was purchased and a local store (Frys) which doesn't check for function during return (only surface defects) and it would cost more to ship the drive to LG to get a repair then to simply buy a new one...

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

I hope that ide isn't controlled by that durn jmicron chipset?

nforce is a lot better
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users