Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Pavilion And Dell Monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Private

Private

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:41 PM

This will probably sound very stupid to the experts, but I am getting fed up with having to restore my new HP Pavilion V Series with Japanese Vista Home Premium. Up till now I have just let the pc deal with the Dell monitor as is. Should I be installing the drivers for the monitor instead of leaving the pc to assign the default?

Under monitor in Device Manager it just says PnP Monitor.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:42 AM

What problems are you experiencing that cause you to restore the system? FWIW - I never install monitor drivers as I don't use any of the features that the drivers offer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Private

Private
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

Sorry Usasma that I havent been back to you sooner. Just got back from being away. Okay this is what is happening. Vista (Japanese in my case) will go along booting and rebooting for a day or so. It will come out of sleep okay. Then for some reason which I cant fathom out, at some point it just wont wake up and so I have to force shut down. Then I get the darn "delete restore point and reboot" (or something like that in English) and it will reboot okay. When I go into computer\c:\disk cleanup\ there is usually an error msg showing a screen saying something like Windows error cued by system (「システムによってキューされたWindowsエラー」 if anybody happens to speak Japanese. The file is 2.68mb. I have tried restoring to factory condition and then slowly installing programs. But it doesnt seem to make much sence. The pc is now only 2months old. As a last resort I was wondering whether I should be installing the Dell monitor drives, so that is why I asked. I have really come to my limit of having to restore from scratch again or use an Acronis image backup. Does it sound like this pc is sick? or would it just be was ise to get rid of the "sleep"mode all together? If so how does one shut down sleep mode all together please?

Long winded sorry. But I sure would like your help. Thank you.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:58 AM

Constantly using Hibernate or Sleep will (IME) eventually cause corruption in the saved data and will require that you delete the restoration data and start over with a fresh boot. But this usually doesn't happen (again IME) until it's been repeated for several weeks.

So, it sounds like something is corrupting the data that's saved. In this case there's a lot that centers around your hard drive - so I'd suggest running a diagnostic test from the hard drive manufacturer. Let us know the make of your hard drive and we can suggest a free test.

You can also try running chkdsk /f /r to see if that reports any errors in the file system.

Finally, since it's only 2 months old, you may want to see if you can get a hardware diagnostic performed on it while it's still under warranty.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Private

Private
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

Ok this is what I have. One Seagate ST3250820AS (250G SATA300 7200). I went over to their home page but couldnt find any diagnostic tests for an internal test. I couldnt get chkdsk /f /r to work (probably because I wasnt sure how to get it to work under standard start\begin search. Im presuming that I need to do it under Admin priviledge. Anyway, I did a chkdsk using C:\Tools\Error Check. It showed nothing so Im presuming that shutting off sleep mode all together and setting monitor to 20mins under Power Options which I did yesterday may have solved the problem. However, that was yesterday and today.
What happens tomorrow is another question so I would be interested in doing that free test if you can advise me of one please.

Many thanks.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:30 AM

Here's the Seagate diagnostics: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

#7 Private

Private
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

I have finally gotten round to doing these tests - the short and long. My HDD passed all. I still havent had a repeat of the sleep error since changing the setting to none so I guess that the problem "may" have been solved. However, I still havent finished reinstalling some of the programs which I would truly like to use so I guess time will tell.

Thank you again and sorry for the lack of feedback on my behalf. Your doing a great job you know.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:49 AM

Not a problem. Thanks for letting us know what's going on. These problems can be frustrating - especially when you can't tell if you've fixed 'em or not! Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users