Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32k.sys Bsod!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bmxjustin

bmxjustin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

I just got a brand new computer built. ati radeon HD 2600 XT,Amd antlon 64 x2 dual core 5200, 2 gig of ram, raid hardrive setup. All my drivers are completely up to date. When i play Counterstike source or hl2 it runs real smooth. Just when I go to exit to the desktop i get a blue screen O Death :flowers:. I thought hl2 would be different and it was only css, so i tried playing that . Went for 15 minutes great gfx everything no lag, then it hit a loading screen and boom bsod :thumbsup:. When i get it it gives me an error that says something like this.

Problems caused by:win32k.sys
Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Disable bios memory operations such as caching or shadowing

Tech info: *stop: 0x00000050(0xe1126304,0x00000000,0xbf89412b,0x00000001)

*win32k.sys_adress bf39412b base at bf800000, date stamp 45f013f6

I don't know what anything means there . My grandfather built my computer , I don't know bios or anything.I already posted twice on the steam support forums, and so far noone knows anything.

There is one thing i found on there but don't understand what its trying to tell me.

Question
I get this error: 'Page Fault Found In A Non Paged Area' what is causing this?

Answer
Anytime Windows says there is a PAGE or DATA error then the problem is almost certainly a memory issue.

There are several possible causes for the following types of error messages:

Page Fault Found In A Non Paged Area BSOD's
Memory Dump BSOD's
IRC BSOD's

(BSOD = "Blue Screen of Death")

BIOS Caching Enabled
The first thing to do is make sure that EPROM CACHE is disabled in the BIOS. If this is enabled, some versions of Windows can get confused and might display the BSODs randomly.

In fact, for Windows XP (home or Pro) you should disable all BIOS caching options, XP does not use these caching features at all.

If this option isn't set or turning it off doesn't fix the BSOD (or your motherboard doesn't have this option) then the next most likely cause is one of the memory modules.

If someone can please help me. I'd greatly appreciate it.Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

Try testing your RAM with memtest86.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:21 AM

Memory issues are the most common cause of this error - but there are several different ways to get a memory error (physical errors in the RAM, drivers accessing memory improperly, programs accessing memory improperly, Windows accessing memory improperly, etc).

The STOP message that you've cited indicates that the error occurred in win32k.sys. This is a Windows system file and isn't usually the actual cause of the error.

Just to verify - the BSOD only occurs when exiting a game? Since it's not just one game, it's not likely that it's the program's fault. So, you're left with a physical problem or a driver problem being the most likely causes.

MemTest will test the physical memory. Uninstalling your video drivers and then installing a freshly downloaded copy of the latest available certified drivers for your video chipset from AIT would be the next step.

Three other things to consider:
1) Other memory in your system may be malfunctioning. This could include your pagefile, your video RAM, or the memory on your CPU.
2) Other drivers can affect this, particularly those at a lower "level" than your video drivers (such as the motherboard/chipset drivers).
3) AMD Away/CPU drivers - a relatively new development that can affect how the system operates. I've found (in my Intel systems) that these drivers can cause issues that can't be explained otherwise. Since they're relatively new, they don't always get installed properly and can cause errors by their absence.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 bmxjustin

bmxjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

Well thank you for trying to help me, ive been back and fourth on the steam forums, and found a couple things that fixed it. First thing is I had to go back to 7.7 drivers, when i did that, I didn't get the bsod anymore but my computer locked up a little bit. So then I was watching how my computer screen would change going back and this is where it hit me. I looked at my desktop resolution, it was 1280 x 1024. Then my counterstrike res was 1280x768. I changed my desktop resolution to match the counterstrike one and Not even a fliker.It works perfectly. I also installed the 7.12 drivers and don't have a single problem. Anyone else who has this problem make sure you match your resolutions perfectly, this is why it would conflict. Thanks for the help anyway guys :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users