Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Keynote

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10, Firefox, and somtimes iE.

I have Wine installed due to the fact of wanting to use IE occasionally.

Ok, what I need to do is get Keynote installed. I've managed to try on my own just enough to get totally lost. Here's where I'm at right now.
I downloaded Keynote to my desktop, and have - kntsetup_165.exe. The icon is a blue diamond, like a bin file.
Two things I've tried -
1 - left click, go through the installation process until I get - Internal error c100
2 - right click and try to extract, and get this message -

End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note: /home/keith/Desktop/kntsetup_165.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/keith/Desktop/kntsetup_165.exe or
/home/keith/Desktop/kntsetup_165.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/keith/Desktop/kntsetup_165.exe.ZIP, period.

Do I need just to open a terminal and type a command there to get the installation? I hope I've given enough information, if not, let me know what you need.

Thank you, Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:07 PM

Are you trying to install the executable from within Ubuntu?

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:45 PM

Honestly, I've gotten myself so confused at this point, I'm not sure where I'm at in the process. Would I be better off just deleting the file on my desktop and starting fresh? Since IE4Linux had it's own installation program, maybe I'm just looking for the wrong things. Any direction in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks, Keith

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

You can not install an .exe file from Linux. An .exe is a Window's executable. I am assuming that you will want to try to install it using Wine, but since I don't use it, I can't tell you how. Someone else will have to help with that, or you will need to check the wine homepage.

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:22 AM

Thanks groovicus - I'll go ahead and look around the Wine forum and see if I can find anything for now.

Keith

#6 Squirm

Squirm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

open a terminal and goto the dir that has the kntsetup_165.exe. then type wine kntsetup_165.exe. That should launch the installer threw wine. good luck.

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Squirm - but still no luck. I'm currently looking through some Wine forums, and will post back how I fare.

Keith

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

Well, I posted this question also on a Ubuntu and Wine forum a couple of days ago just to check further, but no replies. So as I promised to tell how I fared, it doesn't seem possible to do. But, thanks for your input anyhow. Kinda' funny - The more I learn, the more I realize that I don't yet know! So... I guess that it never hurts to ask.

Keith

#9 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:11 AM

I'm wondering if you have wine installed...you should have at least gotten a window that comes up to tell you it's working on it, then a pop up to tell you it can't do it.

Have you gone into terminal and typed winecfg?
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#10 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

Ok - I finally got it! You got me pointed in the right direction . First I tried winecfg in a terminal, got about 20 lines of info, so I tried to install Keynote again. Still didn't get it.

When I right clicked on the desktop file ( kntsetup_165.exe ) in the options menu - open with - I selected Wine windows emulator. So going through the install process once again, at about 90% complete I got the same error message - internal error c100, which is - -

Summary

*** Error C100
Unprintable Character 0xnn Skipped

Description An illegal character was found in the source file. (Note that characters inside a comment are not checked.)

Ok, the winecfg reminded me of something else I'd seen on the Ubuntu forum. So I went and found it and did this in a terminal-

wineprefixcreate, then when I got the prompt again I ran winecfg again. so.....with no confidence at all, I went through the install sequence again and it went smooth as silk! I now have Keynote, just need to get my files on my external hDD loaded into it.

As in so many times while learning Linux, I don't know what the heck I've done, or why it worked. But with guidance now and then I manage to do it.

One quick question, Under main menu, Keynote wound up under "others" . Can I move it to "office" where it would make more sense?

Thanks very much for the help - Keith

#11 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

yes, you can move it wherever you like. I'm a bit shocked though...Usually wine installs everything under Wine......It's kind of cool that yours put it in others.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#12 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:09 PM

Well, I hate to drag this topic on, but there was a change today that is relevant. I did my Ubuntu updates this morning - Wine and Wine-dev as I always do ( update to Wine 0.9.52 ). I then went to "others" where Keynote was yesterday, and it was gone ( didn't think to check Wine at that time ).

So, thinking it was lost during the update, I went back and did - wineprefixcreate and winecfg again, and did another installation. I checked "others" where it put it yesterday, and - - nothing! So I checked in Wine and there was a folder that wasn't there before, which of course contains Keynote. Right where joedude said it should have been originally.

I don't know if it moved there after I rebooted this morning, or something to do with the update. I went ahead and put a launcher in the panel this time just to have easy access. So.... everything is in the correct place now ( not by my hand ) so I'm happy with it. Part of the fun of learning Linux I guess.

Keith

#13 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:09 AM

Your tool bar many times doesn't add new folders until a reboot. I don't know why, it's not that often though. A good example is the debian files, if you install it, many times you have to at least restart x to get it to show up.

BTW:

Winw
Is
Not an
Emulator

It's an actual API layer that runs over linux. It doesn't emulate windows, it, if anyting, translates.

Posted Image
Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix.

Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.

More information can be read in the articles Why Wine is so important, and Debunking Wine Myths. If you are wondering how well a particular application works in Wine, please examine the Applications Database. For installation instructions and step-by-step help with running Wine, take a look at the User Guide.

Wine is free software. The licensing terms are the GNU Lesser General Public License.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users