Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Set Up A Wireless Modem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 YaDaYaDa

YaDaYaDa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

I currently have a cable internet connection and a modem connected to my pc. I would like to set up a second pc to access the internet but don't want to get a second modem. My questions are:
Is it possible to connect a wireless modem to the cable outlet and access the internet with both pc's that way?
How do I determine if the pc's are capable of receiving a wireless signal?
If not, what type of hardware do I need to install in the pc's to get them to talk to the wireless modem?
Is there a better solution than this?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:54 PM

Laptops or tower systems?

If towers how far apart are they phyically?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:22 AM

You will need a wireless router and a wireless LAN card for the second computer. The router gets connected to the broadband modem, your first computer connects to the router and your second is connected to the router via the wireless LAN card.

There is a tutorial that you can read that may help you out, you can read it here.

Edited by dc3, 26 December 2007 - 03:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users