Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Monitors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

Hi,

for a while i've had a spare monitor lying around, so i thought i might use it...

my video card is a radeon 9550, and im pretty sure it doesnt have 2 VGA spots (positive) so i bought a VGA adapter that splits the connection into 2

At the moment it shows 2 instances of 1 screen, 1 on each. I want it to be like a second desktop, and be able to open a window on 1 monitor, and to be able to open a different application on the other monitor simultaneously.

Im sure this is possible, ive seen it. Just not sure how.

Hopefully someone can help me out,

sp0nge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

Use of 2 monitors is fairly common, especially among types that deal with graphics.

But...they usually (if not always) use video cards with this particular capacity. It is not native to just every system/video card.

Related reading: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...p_multimon.mspx

Louis

#3 JebediahTBone

JebediahTBone

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

Now that you have both monitors hooked up, right-click on your desktop and choose "properties".

Then, go to the "settings" tab.

There, you should see both your monitors selected. You should have a checkbox for one of them that says something like, extend my desktop to this monitor. It's not a precise quote. But that's the gist of it.
-JtB

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

If you've purchased a Y-splitter cable like this:

Posted Image

then you will only ever get two identical screens.

To be able to have differing screens you need a video card with dual output, or a second video card.

If you've bought a USB external video adaptor, this acts as a second video card. When you have loaded the drivers, follow Jebediah's instructions.

Edited by Platypus, 26 December 2007 - 04:39 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:56 PM

According to this link:
http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9550/index.html
Your graphics card should have:
a vga output ( normal monitor connection)
A dvi output.
Your graphics card should support multiple monitors.
All you need to do is buy a dvi - vga converter. (make sure you buy the correct dvi converter, there's more than one type)
Connect this to the dvi output on the grahics card and then connect your monitor to it.

Now that you have both monitors hooked up, right-click on your desktop and choose "properties".

Then, go to the "settings" tab.

There, you should see both your monitors selected. You should have a checkbox for one of them that says something like, extend my desktop to this monitor. It's not a precise quote. But that's the gist of it.

The 2nd monitor may not be recognised at first..... i had this problem.
All you have to do is to 'right click' on the 2nd monitor icon and then select the option from there to add it. ( can't remember the exact wording now.... but you'll see it)

BBPP6nz.png

#6 Sp0nge

Sp0nge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

yeah it supports multiple

i went and bought a DVI - VGA today from some shop

works fine now

Cheers

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:22 AM

works fine now

That's great to hear :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

#8 nopebook

nopebook

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

Hi, guys

i had the same problem with Radeon. mine is Radeon 9200 PRO AGP and it comes with 2 output (a VGA and DVI).
i already bought the DVI-VGA and have both monitors setup. but when i click the "extend blah..blah.." it still display the same thing. what am i missing?

please help. thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users