Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defragmenter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 craneop

craneop

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

Hello, can anyone tell me the best way to run the disk defragmenter, as a scheduled task ? I have a slow comp and would like to do this when the comp is idle. Thanks joe mc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Which version of XP are you using?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

the best time to run defrag is immediately after you have taken out the trash and straightened out the mess you have made with your computer

I clean up my browser, do a disk cleanup, delete(permanently) everything I don't need, burn off any work projects(video and audio) delete them, then I have got my computer down to my day to day basics

then defrag only takes a few minutes, the first time I do it, a little longer

scheduling a defrag makes no sense, it needs to be run after you have prepared the computer
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

If the system is slow there are probably other issues going on

Scheduling defrag makes no sense as Chewy said
If defrag takes more that 30 minutes it either hasnt been ran in a wile or there are other problems
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

i had this posted at another forum
it a computer trick that just might be what your looking for.

Did you ever try scheduling a program using Schedule Tasks ........

Programs can be scheduled that way .......

for instantance..Windows Media Player can be set as an alarm clock

Your E-Mail can be set to open at lunch hour ..or whatevers good for you...

Theres a list in the main window ...clean your disc at start-up

buts lets try something a little different....Disk Defragmenter

From Start/Control Panel/Double click Shedule Task /Double Click Add Schedule Task/Click next/Browse/If Local C:Disc Shows thats Ok Right Click Windows/Select/System32/Select DFRG Name It Scheduled Disk Defragment and choose how often you'd like to perform this task.

Choose daily, weekly, monthly, one time only, when your computer starts, and when you log on[/b] after you name your task click Next...now pick a time or how often...Click next Enter Name And Password....This will be the same as your Logon to Windows Password....(this is Mandatory)failure to do so your task schedule wont work....click next put check in advance box....
type or copy n paste this in run command ............ C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\defrag.exe C: Click Finish.......Schedule Task Will perform as you schedule it....Remember Password Is Important USE THE SAME PASSWORD YOU USE TO LOGON YOUR WINDOWS
Your Done

Hint you can schedule anything....prompt...program...anything you want

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:21 AM

FWIW: Big hard drives/partitions (with data on them) take more than 30 minutes to defrag, in my experience. And the longer the partition has gone without a defrag, probably the longer it will take to complete the process.

I find that the best time to defrag large hard drives/partitions is...start the process just before I go to bed and let it run while I sleep. Seems to work well with the 250GB and 500GB drives I have.

Louis

#7 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

if the defrag takes longer than an hour you need to do it more often. If it takes less than 10 minutes, defrag less often. You don't want to waste a lot of time in order to save a little time. Do the defrag during a quiet period, such as when you're away from your desk for a meeting, or after hours. In that way you don't waste any productive time.

http://www.openaccess.co.za/BlackAndWhiteInc/Defrag.htm

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:33 AM

Large disks should probably be partitioned if for no other reason than it makes defragmentation easier and more manageable. I quite agree that it makes sense to END a process of disk cleanup with a defrag than simply scheduling one without any sort of preparation beforehand.
What causes a HD to become fragmented in the first place is the sloppy way Windows adds or deletes files on it; if none of this happens, then repeated defragging accomplishes next to nothing.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:58 AM

My boot drive is only 37GB(raptor 10k) I partitioned a 15gig for system, 20 gigs for data, even defraging the system once a month takes less than 5 minutes. I am hesitant to defrag my data partition at all, I use my second drive, a sata 250 for all permanent data, I have found it better to periodically empty the data partitions and only defrag core files like installers I am saving.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

Thanks,i appreciate all the input. I do run scheduled tasks. The only reason for wanting to schedule defragment is because one care did it as part of there tune up. I just assumed it would be a good thing to do. Defragmenting takes @ 10-15 minutes. So I guess i'm in good shape. Thanks joe mc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users