Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Locking Up And Shutting Down On It's Own

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StonetheCrow77

StonetheCrow77

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:04 PM

Ok... not sure what forum to post this in. If it's the wrong one, sorry.

My aunt got a PC from work. It had a formatted Hard Drive. She got someone to install XP on it for her. She got it back and it was working fine for a week or two.

Then all of a sudden it started locking up every time you logged on. It's very random as to when it does it. It could be when using the IE, in word, or even solatiare. No pattern to it.

Then it started shutting down on it's own. Just Power it up, wait a second and poof, it'll just power down. Or what appears to be shutting down, cause the Power is still on and the Power Supply fan is still running... but, blank screen and no indication of anything else to be running.

I was thinking, maybe, just a bad OS install. Try to install a new version and it locks up every time I try to install it.

Anyone have any idea where I can start... I'd hate to think it's a bad mother board, cause the PC was working fine before the format.

Edited by StonetheCrow77, 25 December 2007 - 08:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

Where is this "windows XP install" comming from. Is it a copy of another version already installed on another computer? or is it a newly purchased or transferrd copy of XP?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:35 AM

Have you opened up your PC and checked if there is any dust build-up? How old is the PC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users