Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pimpologist

pimpologist

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

I just recently got my computer back from years ago and i dont really remember whats all in it. I have 2 places to plug my monitor in, 1 is the normal 1 (i believe connected to the motherboard?), the other is in one of my PCI slots.......now when i start up my computer in the one on my motherboard it doesnt take me to my bios, or show me that windows is loading it just takes me to my windows welcome screen, then my desktop......now when i plug my monitor in the one in the PCI slot, it shows me my bios, and the windows startup screen, but doesnt take me to the windows welcome or the desktop, so basically when the computer is running, the one on the motherboard shows my desktop and the other just shows a black screen......im really confused :thumbsup: .....is this really a video card that i previously put in my computer and just forgot, or is this a normal screen, and if it is a video card why cant i get anything to show after is says windows is loading?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

sounds like the onboard is an agp bus enabled video and the card is a pci, they coexist to give you dual video, there's a setting in bios for pci or agp first, that's what you see with the bios post

after windows finishes loading you get the default display selected there

looks like you have both set for different outputs
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 pimpologist

pimpologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

is this normal?.....is there anything i should change?

#4 pimpologist

pimpologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

or does any1 have any advantages?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:03 PM

When you plug in an AGP or PCI video card it should disable the onboard video vielding a blank screen when the monitor is plugged into the onboard video. I have fallen for that trap before!

If you have not seen this system for a while I would backup, regroup and rethink first.
Take the PCI video card out temporarily. Then connect your monitor to the onboard. See if you get video & if the system boots. Dont worry about video quality. Just see if it gets to the desktop.

While you have the PCI card out identify it. What make & model is it. Should be embossed on the card somewhere.
Also clean the system internally while it is opened. Clean the CPU fan, remove all dust and clean the vents. Compressed air works great.

Then power down & unplug the system. Insert the PCI card & plug your monitor into that.
See what happens. Maybe the card was loose.

Can I ask why you havent had it for so long? Just curious

BTW what version of Windows? XP?

Edited by Eyesee, 25 December 2007 - 08:05 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 pimpologist

pimpologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

the pc was at another house that i moved from, beins as i didnt have any use for it and no where to put it i left it there, i recently got cable internet and got it back......and its home edition

#7 pimpologist

pimpologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

nothing happened, the only thing the card said was ATI

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

nothing happened

when you did what?

when you pulled the pci card and hooked to the onboard?
Chewy

#9 pimpologist

pimpologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

when i took it out and did the on board it worked fine, then when i put it back in and plugged it in nothing came up, but plugged it back into the onboard it worked fine

#10 pimpologist

pimpologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

is there any way i can use something to detect it, and maybe install/update the drivers?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

You will need to identify the onboard and the pci video card, somewhere there are numbers

In my experience almost any onboard agp is as good or better than most pci video cards, it takes a very good pci to beat a lame agp
Chewy

#12 pimpologist

pimpologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

is there any way i can identify them on the computer or do i have to open it up?

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

You can use a free program Belarc Advisor, it will run a check on your computer and tell you what you have. Your video will be listed under "display". There are other programs that do the same thing, I like this one, you can find them in the "All other Applications" forum under "Freeware replacements for common commercial apps." or close to that name.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 pimpologist

pimpologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:06 AM

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users