Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Html 4.01

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:41 AM

I'm studying HTML 4.01, and CSS on my own.

I'm trying to find a guide that will show me what values are acceptable for both Core Attributes
and attributes specific to any given tag. I'm avoiding CSS at this point so I may understand
the functionality of all attributes and their values within HTML 4.01

I'll turn my focus to CSS as soon as I understand what I can do with attributes in HTML 4.01

So to that end, does anyone know where I might find a complete reference of elements (tags) and
the corresponding Attributes with lists of possible values?

PS

I'm aware of the w3scools.com and w3.org sites. I'm currently using these to discern possible
useage and values for any given attribute within any given Element (tag).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

Those sites you listed have attributes and values listed, completely. What more do you need? Optional attributes, standard attributes, and event attributes are all listed there. :thumbsup:

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:06 PM

Now certainly you know I like to ask questions this way Groovicus.

I have trouble paying attention when things are so spread out. I'm looking for more
of a reference/cheat sheet on possible values. I have a decent understanding of
attributes, but I want to see more about the possible values and what they mean.

Reason being is I learn better from using the abilities of a tool rather than reading
through the academics of how it works. I'm trying to stay focused but it's not easy.

btw Happy Holidays

Edited by RandomUser, 25 December 2007 - 12:07 PM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

Certainly you can not expect me to pay attention to 'how you ask questions'.... there are several hundred posts on here every day, and 150,000 or so members.
What is available from w3 is a standard application programming interface. All possible attributes for each tag are clearly listed, as well as valid values for each attribute. There are cheat sheets available, but all a cheat sheet does is list the tags and attributes; a cheat sheet assumes that you already know how to use the tags, and that you just need a reminder of those values, not how to use them. Sure, you could use a tool to code your pages, but all that will really do is teach you how to use a tool. The way to learn any kind of code is to actually use it. There are no shortcuts.

Good luck in your endeavors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users