Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Software Modem In Satellite A-100 Hangs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sdas57

sdas57

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

I have a TOSHIBA SATELLITE A-100 laptop with internal SOFTWARE MODEM version 2.1.6.2.0.
It is attached to COM3.
Manufacturer is AGERE.

I have not been able to get an answer to this one from the TOSHIBA people (at Singapore) through TALK-2-TOSHIBA phone call!! Neither the local people here in India have been able to tell me the problem reasons.

The problem --> whenever I dial the modem connects but then it hangs.. meaning if I open a browser or if the same is already opened and I enter an address..niothing happens for 5-10 mts.. I CANNOT EVEN Get the TASK MANAGER by CTRL+ALT+DEL.. and only after 10 mts the task manager and etc comes up-- which is why I am saying the modem hangs.. it locks up the system...

Nowadays I do not use dial up and only broad band through lan card but still any reply on this will be appreciated. Is it a software problem? or is the modem itself is having problem? What is a software modem? Is it not a physical device?

One more thing. this does not happen if my system is freshly installed with nothing else. But if I have a full house of programs then it starts to give me problems. But I have only normal software installed.. nothing that should give me problems as these are the software I have been using on my other PCs too for al long time now and they have no problems there!!

Thanks.
SD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:45 PM

Does it work fine after waiting 5 - 10 minutes?

If it works fine with a fresh install of Windows it looks as though something loading in the background might be causing it.
Boot to the startup menu (Tap F8 continuously when the system starts up to get there.?
Select Safe Mode with Networking. It may look bad but try it there

Do you have any Norton products installed?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:42 PM

Ok. I will try in safe mode. But you said it. I think so too- that something loading in the background is causing the problem. Because it works very fine after 10 mts and also when windows is fershly loaded (cannot load afresh now as now lots of files). But I thought why should a background program affect the modem? If it does then whose fault is it? The program's or the modem's? I suppose I should blame the modem when I see how costly the laptop is in Indian standards!!

Yes. I have Norton products installed. First I had antivirus and now I have save and restore!. Yes.. once I thought so too that Norton is interfering .. do you think my save and restore is doing some interference in the background? And the CCAP file (that is norton I believe). Now I do not have Norton Antivirus but have Trend Micro.

Thnx

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-software-modem.htm

Although many decry the value of such, I used nothing but software modems when I was on dialup (7 years).

Louis

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

Make sure you select Safe Mode with Network support & not just Safe Mode otherwise this test will not work.
Dont worry if the screen resolution is bad. All we want to find out is if it immediately connects and browses.
If so, it is most likely a background app

Did you run the Norton Removal tool from their website when you uninstalled it? Google it. Should be the first one.
Norton has a tendency to mess with a lot of stuff and really slow a system down.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:09 AM

Friends!! I think I will cntinue this discussion after 3 weeks as I am going home and not carrying my laptop! So will come back and continue the experimenting..

This is not a major issue JUST because I am using dSL and not dial up but I wil experiment on ur suggestions after i come back on 20th Jan 2008.

Happy New year!!
SD

#7 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

Friends,

I am sorry that I forgot to come and reply to this topic for such a long time. I have been busy in other matters pertaining to my computer and this problem has got relegated to the background because I am not using the modem now. But I think you people are right, something IS conflicting with the software since this is a software modem, that is what my common sense told me and it may be Norton which I had installed and now I have norton save and restore. Anyway I do not need any more advice on this for now as the hanging takes place for 5-10 mts and then it starts functioning..

Since I use my modem very rarely, I can live with that 5-10 mts on those rare occasions!! :thumbsup:

Thanks to all of you.!!

How does one close a topic or is that necessary? I wonder now!

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

How does one close a topic or is that necessary? I wonder now!

It is not necessary to close out a topic
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users