My laptop is Toshiba Satellite A-100 with M a t s h i t a DVD RAM UJ- 841 S firmware version =1.60. The same is only one year old. The drive is super multi double layer Drive. My Bios is latest 5.90 version of Toshiba. Windows XP SP 2. I use all sort of protection as you all suggest here, in case you want to know and that matters here.
I find the following problems:-
- I am finding that when I put in some CD it some times tells "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function"
- When I try to cut a CD using nero version 6 ultra edition though it says simulation successful sometimes it says write error!
- Even after write is sucessful and verification by nero is okay, when I insert the CD it either does not open and gives the message as mentioned in 1 above or shows it to be an audio CD with just one file audio.cda inside it even when I had many files!
- And the problem seems to go away if I try inserting the DVD drive tray again and again.. indicating some mechanical error maybe. But cinsidering Japanese quality and considering the age of my machine and considering my handling is quite okay- no bumps or jerks I am not sure it would be a mechanical fault.
- Whether I put in a CD or a DVD the result is same as above - different at different times as explained.
- Downloaded the driver again today and reinstalled though it said driver same.. still I did it.
- I disabled DLA and also CD writing on the drive now to see if it reads the CD but no same problem. Sometimes it reads and sometimes it does not and gives the above error message.
- I have autorun enabled in the drive.
I do not know how long this has been happening as I do not use the drive a lot but yes I always have a CD in it since someone had told me one should not keep it empty.
Is this the reason to damage the drive, if so?
If I have to give my laptop to the service centre naturally I will have to go through the trouble of copying all my data files and erasing them from the HDD because of confidentiality and that is a lot of troubel, A one year old laptop giiving me this trouble is not expected. SO I am posting this message here in case someone can suggest some reason(s) other than mechanical or disconnection of electrical connections and give me a solution.
Happy New year to all.
Edited by sdas57, 25 December 2007 - 09:22 AM.