Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

M A T S H I T A Dvd-ram Uj-841 S Firmware= 1.60 Not Working At Times

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sdas57

sdas57

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:02 AM

Sorry I am not able to edit the subject as it wrongly mentions the DVD make as Matbleepa!!- Hey I suddenly notice that even if I type "M A T S H I T A" IT GETS CHANGED TO MATBLEEPA!!! WHAT IS THIS!!!! (Now that I put space in between it is spelling correctly!!) So I will make one last edit (my 4th!!) and put space in the word below..!!

My laptop is Toshiba Satellite A-100 with M a t s h i t a DVD RAM UJ- 841 S firmware version =1.60. The same is only one year old. The drive is super multi double layer Drive. My Bios is latest 5.90 version of Toshiba. Windows XP SP 2. I use all sort of protection as you all suggest here, in case you want to know and that matters here.

I find the following problems:-
  • I am finding that when I put in some CD it some times tells "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function"
  • When I try to cut a CD using nero version 6 ultra edition though it says simulation successful sometimes it says write error!
  • Even after write is sucessful and verification by nero is okay, when I insert the CD it either does not open and gives the message as mentioned in 1 above or shows it to be an audio CD with just one file audio.cda inside it even when I had many files!
  • And the problem seems to go away if I try inserting the DVD drive tray again and again.. indicating some mechanical error maybe. But cinsidering Japanese quality and considering the age of my machine and considering my handling is quite okay- no bumps or jerks I am not sure it would be a mechanical fault.
  • Whether I put in a CD or a DVD the result is same as above - different at different times as explained.
I have tried the following:-
  • Downloaded the driver again today and reinstalled though it said driver same.. still I did it.
  • I disabled DLA and also CD writing on the drive now to see if it reads the CD but no same problem. Sometimes it reads and sometimes it does not and gives the above error message.
  • I have autorun enabled in the drive.
Is this a software/ driver problem or registry problem or some programe is affecting my drive access?
I do not know how long this has been happening as I do not use the drive a lot but yes I always have a CD in it since someone had told me one should not keep it empty.

Is this the reason to damage the drive, if so?

If I have to give my laptop to the service centre naturally I will have to go through the trouble of copying all my data files and erasing them from the HDD because of confidentiality and that is a lot of troubel, A one year old laptop giiving me this trouble is not expected. SO I am posting this message here in case someone can suggest some reason(s) other than mechanical or disconnection of electrical connections and give me a solution.

Happy New year to all.
Regards
SD

Edited by sdas57, 25 December 2007 - 09:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:36 AM

Oh one more information I would like to add. The empty drive shows in my computers as "DVD-RAM DRIVE (D:)". The icon is a box on top of that a cd

But the moment I insert a CD the icon changes to a CD with a CD-ROM written inside it and the label "CD DRIVE (D:)"

So my suspicion that maybe it is not an electrical/ mechanical connection problem may be true as it is sensing the CD or DVD (if I insert DVD it says DVD) and yet that ERROR message comes. (pl see above msg).

I would understand if I have not been able to cut my CD properly and so it gives the error as the drive is not able to sense the CD but not a CD which sometimes shows the files and other times shows the error message.

Thnx

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:24 AM

Have you tried uninstalling it in the device manager, reboot the computer and let the installation wizared reinstall it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

I have not done exactly that but I have re-installed the driver by running setup of the driver file. I have seen that it does not matter if I uninstall and re-install the driver in the way you said, because it always picks up the same driver.
Thanks for the quick reply.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,004 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

One of the reason to do this is you will also have the occasion to see if you have anything flagged there, a yellow question mark, or a yellow triangle with a exclamation mark inside.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

M A T S H I T A" IT GETS CHANGED TO MATBLEEPA!!!
Think about that one for a second LOL!

Very funny!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,004 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:05 PM

M A T S H I T A" IT GETS CHANGED TO MATBLEEPA!!!
Think about that one for a second LOL!

Very funny!

And this helps how??? :thumbsup:

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:14 PM

It doenst solve the problem but may explain why the text was changed
Matbleepa is a common drive manufacturer

When you post on the board a slash and ME as in Windows me what do you get?
*Eyesee
When you post / ME as in Windows ME it works

Now back to the issue.
You have Nero installed
Do you have Nero IN CD listed in add/remove programs?

See how it just changed it on me too?

Edited by Eyesee, 25 December 2007 - 10:15 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:44 AM

Haha!! No No it is all right. :thumbsup: I am really gong through a bad phase. It sometimes happens - when we are in a hurry or in emergency everthing goes wrong. CurrentlY I am/was having this problem, pen drive problem (size showing less than capacity), virus attack on pen drive and desktop, and then one excel file gone missing from my HDD. Cannot find a trace of it even using all the data recovery programs. So I need a laugh!! Anyway we are solving all one by one (except that the excel file I will have to recreate again and am not sure if something else got deleted too.. typically due to windows eccentricty I guess !!0

No I do not have NERO IN CD.

BTW I asked a hardware engineer. He too says that if the drive is sensing the item and says CD or DVD and then not reading then either lens is not clean or drive problem itself.

Still I guess if I can do something myself instead of going to the service centre it would help.

Any suggestors?

Cheers!!

SD

#10 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:01 AM

Oh Sorry DC3, I forgot to reply to you. Yes now I did what you said. No problems faced in that. No yellow question marks etc.
And now I will be on leave for 3 weeks and I will not be carrying my laptop, so I guess I will come back later to continue this topic if my problem recurs again. I am going to clean the Drive too today. Then after 3 weeks..

Bye now. till then.
Thanks for the tips so far. Some more if any please...

#11 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hi all

Sorry that I got busy with my other problems and forgot to come and close this topic. Of course I do not know how to close a topic.

My DVD Drive itself was defective -- IN JUST ONE YEAR!! TOSHIBA! just imagine!! and I did not even use it much!! Anyway.. the local representative of it had given me a 3 year warranty (normally they give one year on this model) as a sales offer and so I could get it replaced!

Thanks to all!!

:thumbsup:

#12 onumbarr

onumbarr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:29 PM

I was having trouble getting the uj-841s to be recognized by my toshiba m105-s3004. I found this registry edit on the Microsoft Technet forum. Credit goes to misslove on that site. Quoted:

Hi,

It may be a upper and lower limit problem.

before moving on, letís backup the windows registry.

To know how to backup windows registry in Vista, please visit this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

then, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER

click plus signs next to the following;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
currentcontrolset
control
class
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002 BE10318}

then look for any of these entries in the list;

upperfilters
lowerfilters
upperfilters.bak
lowerfilters.bak

if you see any of these delete them by right clicking and delete

then, close the window and reboot the computer.

It fixed the problem on my XP system. Actually I've done it twice now, first time with SP2, and now after I used the recovery disk and installed SP3. But it took me an hour's searching this time since I didn't save the instructions before, so I thought I'd put it here, too. Funny that it worked flawlessly after the first time I fixed it but the problem came back after restoring to the computer's original state. Shame, Toshiba.

#13 daight

daight

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

It does not help solve sdas57's problem but maybe i know why m a sh i t a changed to matbleepa.
M A S H I T A contains the word ****,so maybe the word filter filter out the **** and replaces to BLEEP.

Edited by garmanma, 10 July 2008 - 11:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users