Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Pen Drive Does Not Show 4 Gb Though It Probably Should

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sdas57

sdas57

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:43 AM

I bought this Kingston Data Traveller last year. Today I am not sure whether it was a 4 GB or a 1GB capacity. But my memory seems to tell me it was 4 GB when i bought it and used it too. Plus the prices here in India at that time seems to match a 4 GB size. I also remember experimenting whether a Pen drive can be formatted (since it was my first possession) and formatted it as FAT 32. After that I distinctly remember it to show as 1 GB as after formattting a report appears. I do not know how and why I did not notice at that time that the size has become 1 GB from 4GB. There is therefore a chance that it was 1 GB in the beginning too and that I got cheated.

Now in case I did not get cheated and my original impression / memory is right that it was a 4GB drive as it also shows on its body marks, can anyone tell me is there a scope for something like this happening? That a USB pen drive becomes 1 GB after formatting or something goes wrong by some other action when it was originally 4 GB? The item is of Kingston Data Traveller Make and is of DT1/ 4 GB model (made in China).

Thanks in anticipation once again.
Happy New year in advance!
SD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:16 AM

Look at the drive in Disk Management (Start...Run...type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). It'll show if the drive is 1 gB or 4 gB.

You can also check the drive's physical properties in Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

Oh! Thanks for that VERY FAST REPLY!!. However I will check only on 27th, because now the drive has virus and I do not want to insert in my laptop but will try in my desktop at office. However the problem is not due to virus I know as it happened from before virus attack. I will check. But I suppose it will also show 4 GB as I have seen in properties after right clicking and that will not show any different I guess. So I was thinking if a drive can become 1GB from 4 GB after formatting or due to some error.

Thanks./

#4 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

Hey!! Thanks!! It helped. And I also did low level formatting using software from this link

http://hddguru.com/download/software/HDDGU...p.2.36.1181.exe

It has now become 4 GB again! So I was right.
Thanks a lot!!
Sd
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users