Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Agv Free Problems - Using Windows Me

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JAS7

JAS7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:57 AM

Can anyone help me with an AGV Free problem ???

I have been running AGV Free version 7.5.516 on my Windows ME operating system for a while with no problems.
Recently I had some work done on my computer as it was not booting up. The guy cleaned the ram (apparently) and the computer has been booting up fine since. Prior to this he changed some start-up settings but this had no effect and i had to take my computer back to his shop.

When I finally got my computer home, AGV Free "Resident Shield" was no longer working (and I can't tick the box to activate it as it is now grey'ed out). Also, when AGV runs a scan, it comes up with the message "PARTITIION TABLE (MBR) - READING ERROR" and "BOOT SECTOR OF DISK - READING ERROR"

Have tried uninstalling AGV Free using Control Panel, add/remove programs and it wont let me uninstall. The message I am getting is that 2 errors have occurred as follows;

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file setup.exe: creating backup....
Access is denied. (5) %DESTINATION% = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\setup.exe.install_backup", %SOURCE% = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\setup.exe"
Rollback:
Error: Action failed for file avgse.dll: restoring from backup....
The system cannot find the file specified. (2) %DESTINATION% = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgse.dll", %SOURCE% = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgse.dll.install_backup"

I have also tried reinstalling AGV Free (as I can't uninstal) but again without success, receiving the message that "some installation files are corrupt , download a fresh copy and retry the installation" so basically I am stuck with a program that is useless and I can't get rid of it or replace it.

I also have AGV Free on my 98' operating system and it is running perfectly.

I read that someone else had a similar problem and that they changed their user settings to "administrator" and were able to download a new copy or something along these lines (trying to locate that email) but was a bit beyond my limited computer experience.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

you could try a similar ilk to what I did as a 'repair' job in this thread perhaps?resetting avg

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:30 PM

See if you can find out exactly what this guy did.
If you are having boot sector read errors there could be additional and more severe problems
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 JAS7

JAS7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

Thanks to all who are replying and trying to help me solve this problem.

To Eyesee - Im very wary of going back to this guy, as who knows what worse damage he could do. As it was my Modem etc was also not working when I got it back and I had to go to another guy (with a computer programming background) to get this fixed - some TCP files were missing.

Have also checked my hard-drive for errors on several occassions consequtively and daily and no errors are showing up, indicating that the hard-drive seems ok. Have been running A-squared and Micro Trend House Call to check for Malware and they have thrown up a Trojan in my C:/RESTORE/TEMP files but this has now been quaranteened - but could have possibly caused a problem.

Am currently trying to download agv75free_516a1225.exe again to see I can get it installed.

To Ruby1 - I have no problem locating my AGV files in Start/Programs, and in my Startup Menu (by running "msconfig", startup. Its all there, the trouble is I can't uninstal it (so that I can try and reinstal another copy that works!). Thanks for your help anyway.

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

Thanks to all who are replying and trying to help me solve this problem.

To Eyesee - Im very wary of going back to this guy, as who knows what worse damage he could do. As it was my Modem etc was also not working when I got it back and I had to go to another guy (with a computer programming background) to get this fixed - some TCP files were missing.

Have also checked my hard-drive for errors on several occassions consequtively and daily and no errors are showing up, indicating that the hard-drive seems ok. Have been running A-squared and Micro Trend House Call to check for Malware and they have thrown up a Trojan in my C:/RESTORE/TEMP files but this has now been quaranteened - but could have possibly caused a problem.

Am currently trying to download agv75free_516a1225.exe again to see I can get it installed.

To Ruby1 - I have no problem locating my AGV files in Start/Programs, and in my Startup Menu (by running "msconfig", startup. Its all there, the trouble is I can't uninstal it (so that I can try and reinstal another copy that works!). Thanks for your help anyway.

my HOPE was/is that you could run a repair of it?; if it will alow THAT then just maybe you can uninstall it and try again?

does one dare ask if your system restore is operational ? or has even THAT been clobbered by this 'person'?

has just occurrred to me whether an HJT Log might show up/throw light on something?

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:32 PM

I have been running AGV Free version 7.5.516 on my Windows ME operating system for a while with no problems.

I also have AGV Free on my 98' operating system and it is running perfectly.

I've been using AVG for about six months now without any problem. I fact it works better than McAfee.

I downloaded AVG Free Edition 7.5.503. I uninstalled my previous version and installed this version. I downloaded the updates and set it to work on a full virus scan. It kept on crashing with a dll error. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but I kept on getting the dll error on a full scan. :thumbsup:

So I uninstalled it and installed AVG Free Edition 7.5.488 and it works perfect again.

Are you using AVG Free Edition 7.5.516 on your Win98? :flowers:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

my suggestion is to post an HJT log on the forum for the experts to check out to see just what IS going on ( or not) on the affected computer as you do not know what else 'damage' the apparent computer tech may have done

scroll down this bit
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ till you get to the bit that says

hijack this download link and follow the instructions ; and let one of the log experts check it out for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users