Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver Died, Rebooted, Now Something's Still Wrong

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

First of all, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone! :flowers:
Second of all, my problem-.- (seems like once problems start, they never stop coming...)
So my little sister was going to play Oregon Trail Deluxe and some other old MS-Dos abandonware she downloaded from the Internet (not sure if they're safe, going to scan them later), then she reported that "yellow/orange/black flashes that nearly gave her a seizure" popped up. She pulled off the power supply and rebooted. After that the screen was somewhat wonky. It was in 800x600 pixels, and the colors were basic. She said Yes to the option that popped up about Windows automatically detecting and restoring depth resolution and colors. So when I got on to inspect, the task bar had weird colors and the icons weren't... well, let's just say they weren't the ones included with Windows XP.
Attached is a picture I've taken. I tried to reset colors but for some reason 256 Colors and True Color and the rest of the lot were gone.
What I'm asking is, Can someone tell me how to restore the color display options and restore the XP icons? For one, I do not like weird colors and outdated Windows icons on the system tray, and my sister and I both want to play games, hehe. Also, how can the old MS-Dos abandonware games (that are really really old) start so they won't crash the graphics driver and cause seizures?

Edited by skyfuser, 25 December 2007 - 12:46 AM.

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:18 AM

What OS are you using?

Have you tried doing a system restore?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

Uhhh, Toshiba XP Home Edition?

And it turns out that I have NO system restores. Eek, where did my 2GB allocation of system restores go :flowers:

So I restarted the computer instead, I hope that works too?

Everything's back to normal :thumbsup: Except that there's still no option for color displays other than High 16bit and Medium 16bit. Any ideas on how to restore it will be appreciated!

Edited by skyfuser, 27 December 2007 - 01:59 PM.

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

Generally, it's your video drivers which control your variability regarding video resolution.

If you used some version of recovery/restore disks/partition to ignite the system again...I would have thought that the video drivers would have installed automatically, just as they were installed initially.

What model of Toshiba is this, please (e.g., Satellite A210-EZ2203X)?

You can go into Device Manager and see if it indicates a problem with the video drivers, Start/Run, type in devmgmt.msc, hit OK. Check anything under Display Adapters. If you see any marking (yellow/red) next to anything, let us know what the item is.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2007 - 09:18 AM.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

If you want to play those old games, it's best to use compatibility mode and learn how to use it, unfortunately there's always the danger of hosing windows. Those sound and video drivers included in old games don't always work right. I have reloaded a few computers where someone insisted on playing outdated games. That was easier than trying to fix the mess.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

Sorry for not replying sooner. The modem blew up-.-
My model is PS113U-04318V, Satellite 2235-S125
And DaChew, thanks for telling me. I have never thought those compatibility things really worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users