Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Onboard Lan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve7

Steve7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

Hello..I am brand new to the forum and here's my problem.

I have two computers that I would like to have share the internet.

My current setup on hosting computer receives interenet via broadband modem from Comcast...then to a router....then to computer using an onboard lan. This connection has worked fine for quite a while. (running WinXP

Now I would like to share that internet connection with another computer running Win98 with a mother board that also has an onbard lan.

After reading much information regarding network sharing, almost all say network adapter cards are needed on both computers....but some also say onboard lan can be used as well.

Have tried running ethernet cable from existing router to the onboard lan on Win98 computer and can not get a connection.

If anyone can be of help here I would appreciate it. I am thinking it could also be a problem with how I have configured as well.

Thanks......Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

after making sure the onboard ethernet controller is working in device manager on the w98 computer, take the xp computer and use the network setup wizard and create a setup floppy, take it to the w98 computer, just follow the directions, it's a piece of cake
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Steve7

Steve7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

Thanks a lot chewy for responding to my post. Well, I did exactly as you said....created Network Wizard card on host computer and then ran it on second computer but still no connection for internet explorer.

Was doing quite a bit of google to get more info and one guy said there is always a possiblity of bad cable, but that will be my very last choice because of the difficulty of the snakin'.... thru the wall

The unusual thing about this setup aside from one computer being WinXP and the other Win98...is that..the Comcast cable signal goes to the router and the main computer I have been using for a long time gets it's connection directly from router, so...all I am really doing is running my cable to hoped for second computer directly from another port on the router which shows an active light. I am not interested in file or printer sharing between computers, so it seems to me it should be way more simple than it is turning out to be.

Also, under Network Adaptors in Device Manger, under existing Ndis2 Driver, it is aying the Ndis.vxd device could not load the device driver. (code 2) I am thinking that could very likely be the problem so will have to go to motherboard folks for update.

Any other ideas I will be looking for.
Thanks.....Steve

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

you have to get the ethernet adapter working first before setting up networking

after making sure the onboard ethernet controller is working in device manager on the w98 computer

that means all drivers loaded, no problems at all

once it's doing fine in device manager you would have to tweak a couple of small settings in IE at most

a dial up modem would best be disabled as a confusion

98 should really be updated for a few things also
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users