Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Install Acitve X Control

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mnickels

mnickels

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

There are two chess sites that I am unable to use. When I try to open a board on them I get this message: To help protect your security, Internet Explorer stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control on your computer. Click here for options.

When I click there, then click on Install ActiveX control, I get an Internet Explorer Security Warning that says: Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.

After opening tools, options, security settings and changing the settings, I was able to get a message that said: Window can't verify the publisher do you want to install the software anyway? When I click on install, it still does not install it. Nothing happens and I don't get any more messages.

How can I fix this so that I can install the ActiveX control?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

When the message appears in the top portion of IE...you have to click and elect to allow whatever for this site, this instance, whatever your choice is.

The resulting screen should take you back to the preceding screen, the one where you originally made the election. You must make the election all over again to download/install/whatever and it should process (I think).

I normally only see this with popups (which trigger downloads) but I believe it's the same principle.

Louis

#3 mnickels

mnickels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Since I have changed the security settings, I no longer get a message in the top part of Internet Explorer. Now I just get a pop-up Internet Explorer Security Warning that says: The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to install this software? When I click on the install button, nothing happens.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

What did you change in the security settings?
Tools >Internet Options>Security>Internet. Click on Custom Level and scroll down to Download unsigned ActiveX controls and tick on Enable
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 mnickels

mnickels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:53 PM

Enabling unsigned ActiveX controls did not fix the problem. Now I get the warning at the top of Internet Explorer again. When I click on install ActiveX control, I still get nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users