Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Fail...?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ikitikitembo

ikitikitembo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Hello my name is Josh and I would really appreciate anyone's input on this:

I've recently decided to put together my own computer. It's cool how I saved money buying the separate parts, and the process of putting everything together has been a good learning experience so far. The only problem is, after finally ordering Windows XP Professional x64 bit, and inserting in the CD/DVD-ROM for that moment of glory, the BIOS still tells me that it's failing to boot the disk.

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte S-series model P35C-DS3R motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=2551

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU (2.4 GHz) http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...682&lid=585550

NVIDIA e-GeForce 8600 GTS Graphics Card http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600.html

Western Digital SATA 300 MB/s, 400 GB Disk Space, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM Hard Drive http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/3...d-125-shipped/

Samsung SH-S203B DVD Writer http://www.samsung.com/in/products/o...s/sh_s203b.asp

Thermaltake Purepower 500W Power Supply http://www.thermaltake.com/product/P...94/w009394.asp

Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15900

As I scroll through the BIOS I'm using an old Compaq keyboard from a piece of history...waiting until the operating system is up before I install my wireless Logitech keyboard. I set my priority boot device as the CD-ROM Device in Advanced BIOS Screen, as the manual tells me this is all I really need to do before the blue screen pops up about partitioning hard disk space for Windows Professional. Can you think of any of these components not being compatible with the x64 bit operating system? I heard (rumors?) that certain optical drives were required for this x64 Professional (is this Samsung compatible?). ...I also noticed on the NVIDIA page about the 8600 graphics card that it is classified under a "32" rate for "stream processing" if you look at the top of the table...this mean anything???...Just to let you know I wore the anti-static wrist attachment while assembling and applied a nice even layer of thermal paste to the processor as directed.

Even though after every check in the BIOS for about twenty times running it (before I got the operating system, just to check out the BIOS) the temp always reads in the low 30's C, there was one point when I was checking the temp of the CPU in the BIOS that I noticed the temp was reaching heights of 70 C. I realized that I had bumped the case in plugging it in again and because of this the CPU FAN wasn't entirely on (the fan was still running though)...two of its thick corner plastic screws were loose, while two remained on strong...so even though the fan was running I think that made it lose heat. So I got freaked out and shut off the comp (So all in all the CPU was running at temperatures up to 70 C for about 12 seconds), screwed the CPU Fan more firmly on the motherboard, and it was back in business reading a constant 33 C after the first test. Although I don't believe this is a big deal, I thought I'd mention it to anyone of you kind souls who are thinking of a cure. I heard that even though a healthy CPU temp is anything under 40 C, I also hear CPU's can withstand a lot and that it reaching temps up to 70 for a short amount of time doesn't cause any permanent damage. I have never run power to my CPU with the fan not connected/running at all...I've heard that does damage CPU's within seconds.

FYI about the operating system: I didn't obtain it from any big retailers like I did my other parts (Micro Center), but instead from a website called CietDirect.com, which sells cheap software. I found XP Pro x64 for $90! I'm pumped because it usually costs up to 299.99. The site seems legit (CietDirect.com), even though the package didn't contain the blue Microsoft cardboard case like it shows on the web, but a disk in a soft, flimsy, black protective case reading in professional print:

English, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
x64 Edition
(Product Key Required)

June 2006
Systems
Student Media/Work At Home Media

End Item Part No. E85-03210

Licensing

All use subject to volume license agreement. Do not make illegal copies of this disc. Not for retail or OEM Distribution. Not for resale.

It's layered in bronze/brown colors, with Microsoft logos and looks like the real deal (barcode and all). "Microsoft is indented/printed in gold on the sensitive part on the inside of the ring (where you flip it over on the info side and you see the thin ring near the center). I honestly think this is good stuff, but I thought I would mention this as well for your help.

- I'm hooking the power of my comp directly to a common 120V house outlet. (No surge protector as far as the computer power itself)

- The disk drive works: blinks green, opens, closes, reopens.

- LED's are sparkling blue, fans are flowing.

Everything seems to be going ok except for the bleepty statement that the BIOS system fails to boot the disk. :thumbsup:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:45 PM

Welcom to BC
Did you remember to load the SATA drivers?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

Having just converted to 64 bit Windows today, I can assure you that you're in for some work. Once the SATA drivers are loaded you'll have to ensure that you've got the 64 bit drivers for the rest of your hardware. Once that's done, then it's on to 64 bit security software, then to 64 bit applications!

I started with a fresh install of 64 bit Vista at 9am today - and it's now 9pm and I'm still working on setting it up "my way" :thumbsup:

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:55 PM

come on guys, how do you load sata drivers for a sata optical drive?

change the mode for the controller in bios

there's 2 different chipsets controlling sata, do not use raid mode
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

come on guys, how do you load sata drivers for a sata optical drive?

change the mode for the controller in bios

there's 2 different chipsets controlling sata, do not use raid mode

I didn't see were it's a SATA optical drive. The link was dead when I clicked on it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

yeah I have been reading about that drive for 6 months and can't use it myself, my old via sata controller won't do ide emulation

they usually boot a cd in default configuration on either the intel or the jmicron controller
Chewy

#7 ikitikitembo

ikitikitembo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:52 PM

...the samsung optical drive is actually connects IDE. I basically have one SATA hard drive, and one IDE optical drive...

First Boot Device set to CD-ROM

Raid disabled on controller mode

BIOS detecting both drives

Theres another SATA option about Native mode for and I was told to have that enabled....

thanks

#8 ikitikitembo

ikitikitembo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

Did you remember to load the SATA drivers?

I thought I don't do that until XP is actually installed/loaded...??

...sorry about the bad linkage...

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/optical...h_s203bbebn.asp

SH-S203B
20X SpeedPlus™ Serial ATA Internal
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users