Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Install New Dvd-rw, What Software Should I Use?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 redsky6r

redsky6r

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

Hello. No issues with a Dell Dimension 2400, running Windows XP Pro SP2, with Pentium 2.8GHz, 640 Mb RAM. II took an old Dell apart after the Hard Drive died, and transferred the DVD-RW from the old one and placed into my working Dell 2400. Install went fine, the hardware was recognized and it appears to have no errors after checking the device manager.

I'm looking for a recommendation on what DVD software I should install to just "play" a DVD now. I did not install any other software after replacing this DVD hardware (yet). I do not have any software from the old Dell that relates to the DVD player.

I have some DVD movies of my wife's band performance, and wanted to watch them, then (using recently purchased Adobe Elements 4.0), perhaps edit & place some movie scenes together to make one movie product. Adobe Elements will capture the video burned onto a number of DVDs that band member gave us, so once I figure out how to mess with it, I should be fine. It takes too long to capture each movie with Elements, so the real issue came up when I just wanted to play each DVD to see which performances were worth "capturing" into Elements.

When I tried opening any DVD (commercial products and/or band videos) in Windows Media Player (ver 11), it says I'm missing a DVD-decoder, with no identified error code. Assuming this is software (not hardware related), is there a recommendation on a downloaded program that will play both home recorded DVDs and the ones that I rent from the video store, or is this asking too much? I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for this program, if this helps.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:28 AM

You can give THIS a try, I found it under the "All other Applications" forum, the freeware replacements at the top of the page. I've never used it, but hey, it's free! If it does not work your not out any money and all the programs there have been checked and tested for malware and such.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users