Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Wireless Broadband

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 holdenbates

holdenbates

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

Hi Folks,
I have an old Presario. Can't remember exact model but it has only windows 95. In order to get Wireless Broadband connection i have been told i need to add some card. Not sure what i need to add. Is it hardware or software?? Currently using phone line through in built modem to get connected and it is always painfully slow.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

You would need a wireless LAN card for notebooks and a wireless modem or a wireless access point hooked up to the modem that the ISP provides
Like this one NewEgg
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 24 December 2007 - 03:35 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 holdenbates

holdenbates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

Thanks,
It is not a notebook though. It's just the typical workstation using a phone line.. Does that change the card i need.

Thanks again. I feel braindead!!

Edited by holdenbates, 24 December 2007 - 04:28 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

That would be a PCI wireless NIC card
Newegg
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

The real issue is going to be lack of drivers for Windows 95. With any new device there wont be any drivers!

Why dont you just cable it. That certainly will be a LOT easier!
You can get a generic Realtek RTL8139 PCI card for about 10 bucks.
I just checked the Realtek website & they do still have drivers for that card & Win95.

Do you currently have broadband or are you thinking of getting it?

Another problem comes to mind as well. What are you going to use for Antivirus software?

Edited by Eyesee, 24 December 2007 - 07:31 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 holdenbates

holdenbates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Hi again, living in rural Ireland here.
Haven't got broadband yet, but broadband new to area.
You're telling me i should just get it through the telephone line, as opposed to wireless.
As it's not a notebook wireless isn't a necessity.... yet.
Would i just be better off dishing out $700 and buy a lap top, only using it for broadband???
As for anti-virus software, haven't even thought of it.....
Thanks again..

Edited by holdenbates, 25 December 2007 - 06:54 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

I loved Windows 95 as an OS. Hardly ever see it anymore though.
I wouldnt even consider trying to get 95 to work wirelessly. Never have done it either. Extremely doubtful that it will work. You have to remember 95 is 12+ years old. Wireless wasnt even a concept back then. The Internet was done pretty much all dial up.

I wouldnt spend the money on a wireless PCI card only to find out that there are no drivers for it with 95. Most are 98 Second Edition or greater. If there are no drivers, the device wont work with the OS.

However, the Realtek RTL8139 still will. Its only about 10 bucks here in the US. Ethernet cable is cheap too. You could then potentiall get a wireless Linksys router. Then you can hard wire the tower and use wireless with the laptop if you decide to go that route.

Antivirus and spyware software could be a real issue. I dont know of a single antivirus product that will still work with 95. AVG is pulling Windows 98 support in August 2008 as well.

As another thought. If you decide to get a laptop I would aviod Vista & get XP. Dell is the only boxmaker left still selling XP. Everyone else is Vista. Personally, I dont like it.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:49 AM

If you have a PCI slot you can use the card that Garmanma suggested. It comes with the drivers on a CD so you will need a CD-ROM to make the installation. The company providing the broadband connection should be able to help you set up the connection. If you know who the provider is going to be you should be able to call them and get answers to what equipment you will need.

If you are going to have to set the LAN connection on your computer there is a good tutorial provided by the University of Minnesota, you can read it here. The tutorial assumes that you have already installed the wireless card.

Edited by dc3, 26 December 2007 - 02:42 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:35 PM

Wont work with 95! 98SE or greater only!
http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid...26&scid=221

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:41 PM

I'm getting wireless broadband and wireless networking confused
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:40 PM

If you have a PC, its definitely not worth going through trouble for wireless. You could get a wireless router with ethernet plugs in the back, so that you could connect your 95 machine for now - and wireless is an option for later.

By the way, what are you going to use your PC for, mainly? If you arent interested in shelling out more money for a more up-to-date OS, you could consider Linux - its various flavors are free and stable and up-to-date. You should have a bigger selection of recent compatible software as well (compared to Win95). Anyways, its something to consider.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

The TRENDnet TEW-633GR IEEE 802.3 is Compliant with Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003 server/Vista, Linux and Mac OS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833156226

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users