Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Hope When It Says "operating System Not Found" ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cindylu

Cindylu

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

I bought a new laptop and thought I would have enough time to transfer all my info to the new laptop before the old one died but I'm afraid I may be too late :thumbsup:

There was a clicking sound on my old laptop, then my daughter said it had a message on the screen saying there was some kind of a problem and it was going to try to restart to keep the system safe. Then when it tried to restart it stopped while the screen was still black and said the following:

Intel ® Boot Agent Version 4.1.08
Copyright © 1997-2002, Intel Corporation
PXE-E61:Media Test failure, Check cable
PXE-M0F:Exiting Intel Boot Agent
Operating System not found

Now, I'm trying not to panic. Does anyone out there know if this means that my processor is no good or exactly what it means? Does this mean my hard drive is totally gone or does it just mean that the processor is gone and if I get a new processor it might work again?

In a nutshell of course the big question is............ Could my hard drive still be salvagable or is my data and programs lost forever.

And it's my birthday today.........sigh

If there's hope I can try taking it somewhere to get it fixed. I'm just a bit anxious to know if I've lost everything that wasn't backed up.

Cindy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

laptop hard drives are relatively easy to remove and a 2 1/2 " usb2 enclosure is very cheap, it would be worth a try to see if the drive can be recovered

taking it to a shop would cost you a lot more and not be near as educational
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

Sadly, I think you're too late. There are data recovery services out there, but their fees are not for the faint-of-heart. It would be up to you to decide what all your stuff is worth. There is one possible thing to try. It's out in left field but it has worked for others time to time, but if you have nothing to lose it's worth a shot. Have your computers set up for the way you're going to transfer, then remove your hard drive and put it in the freezer for a few hours. Yes, I said the freezer. While it's chillin down, write a plan of action of what files you want, which ones to go after first and where abouts they're located. Remove the drive from the freezer and wipe off any moisture, especially around the circuit board fingers, plug it back in to the laptop. Fire it up and transfer the files. Depending on how bad the drive is damaged this could work. I knew a person that did this and he was so amazed that it worked, he just started using it that way for a few days and never bothered to transfer anything. Then it finally went bell up
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:19 PM

The old hdd in the freezer is an old trick and does work, sometimes. When you chill the disk it contracts which in some cases is all it needs to be able to spin up. I would suggest one change to what Garmanma has made, it you double bag it before you put it in the freezer you will not have the frost issue that you would have otherwise. One other thing that I didn't see was how long to keep it in the freezer, usually about twenty minutes will do. I wish you all the luck.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

Background info on the error message: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321626

Louis

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

or try booting the old laptop with a bootable cd(like recovery disk or oem xp disk, whatever)

if it sees the hard drive the chances are good that you might recover some data
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Cindylu

Cindylu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

Thank you all for your fast replies! I will attempt to try some of the above suggestions.

The only good thing about all this is that I did put some things on an external drive because the internal one was getting so full. It appears I had more on there than I originally thought. I had forgotten that on a whim one day a few months ago, I had just copied and pasted my entire My Documents folder on there so I still have most of my photos, etc. I also had JUST backed up my Itunes library about 3 weeks ago, so although I may have lost all the songs purchased since then I at least have about 3 years worth of purchases.

It could have been MUCH worse. Backups are a girl's best friend :thumbsup:

Now to go see how to take my laptop apart.

Cindy

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:52 PM

Depending on what brand of laptop you have, you may be able to rebuild that thing with the purchase of a new hard drive (about $50).

HP and Dell sometimes give you recovery disks but sometimes they put everything on a recovery partition, which would go away with the rest of your HD in the event of a meltdown. I doubt the processor has been damaged, unless you spilt coffee or something really nasty.

You might have to purchase a recovery disk but it would certainly be cheaper than a new laptop.

Good luck.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 24 December 2007 - 02:52 PM.

#9 Cindylu

Cindylu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

Hmmmm. Yes I do remember using a recovery disk on my old Dell years ago. This laptop is a Gateway. I'll have to check to see...I may have a recovery disk for it also.

Thanks for mentioning that. I would really like to get this laptop running again if I could regardless of whether or not I lost my data.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

I know a guy that teaches computer configuration and repair at a local college and he has three rules that he starts the class with each semester, those rules are back up, back up, and back up. You have just experienced first hand the reason for doing this. I'm glad to hear that you haven't lost all of you files.

If you will provide us with the make and model of you laptop I will see if I can find you a tutorial for removing the hdd, I'm guess that this is what you meant when you wrote that you were taking it apart.

Merry Christmas

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Cindylu

Cindylu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

The make and model of my laptop is a Gateway M305CRV. It is about 4 years old.

I've done a few things inside my old desktop towers before but I've never been inside my laptop. I figure I don't have much to lose at this point. If I could at least get is thing working for my kids, I'd be happy.

Cindy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users