Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lavasoft Virus Finds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chasgallo

chasgallo

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

After I use the internet for a few hours (use it 8 hours a day at least), the speed of my system declines, Becomes very slow. I have had comcast in here, spent an hour with me checking line speeds, modem etc, and found nothing...great ping responses. Then Thought it could be the router which still has not been ruled out. Will do a complete reinstall after Xmas.
But to the point....this problem I have had has been going on for a week or so now. When I go to Lavasoft and run the Ad-ware SE personal, it finds between 10 - 20 critical objects while scanning the Browser Cache at end of scan. This morning I just finished running it, found 16 critical objects..deleted them through the Adware program, and now my system is running faster again.
I have been thinking its my router and was going to buy another, since intermittent problems have been occuring on the other desktop connected via the wireless router and our laptop.
All 16 critical objects this morning, in fact everytime I do that scan, show up as tracking cookies. All the scans in the past days with adware show the same thing. Just vary by how many.. They get deleted, but hours or the next day... they come back?
Any help or suggestions on how I can really delete these forever?
Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:57 AM

There's no way to delete tracking cookies forever. You're going to get them every time you go on the internet. However, I use CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ to automatically delete cookies and junk files and my recycle bin every time I boot up. Just keep in mind there are some cookies you will want to save, internet banking for example. So clean it manually, save the cookies you want and then set it up automatically. One word of warning. CCleaner also comes with a registry cleaner. Please don't use it. It comes with other stuff too so check out their tutorial. I've looked at other similar programs but I like CCleaner's interface the best.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

Tracking cookies should not effect your computer/browser speeds, and are perhaps the last thing one should worry about. I would look elsewhere for the problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

I agree with jgweed.

Cookies are text string messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a web page or navigate different pages with your browser, the web site generates a unique ID number which your browser stores in a text (cookie) file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from that server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them.

The type of cookie that is a cause for some concern are "tracking cookies" because they can be considered a privacy risk. These types of cookies are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site). Ad companies use them to record your activity on all sites where they have placed ads. They can keep count of how many times you visited a web page, store your username and password so you don't have to log in and retain your custom settings. When you visit one of these sites, a cookie is placed on your computer. Each time you visit another site that hosts one of their ads, that same cookie is read, and soon they have assembled a list of which of their sites you have visited and which of their ads that you have clicked on. They are used all over the Internet and advertisement companies often plant them whenever your browser loads one of their banners. Cookies are NOT a "threat". As text files they cannot be executed to cause any damage. Cookies do not cause any pop ups nor do they install malware.

As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. However, you can minimize this by reading "Blocking & Managing Unwanted Cookies" and "Block Third-Party Cookies in IE7".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users