Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advanced Firewalls And Ip Filtering

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ShrOomiN

ShrOomiN

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:18 AM

So at least have everybody in this thread probably has an advanced firewall. The kind that gives you constant pop-ups with port, direction, and I.P. details, it's not a bad thing and that only means you are being informed and protected but I still want to know something. Is there something out there like a general filter of all known bad IPs that you can automatically load into your firewall so that every program that is allowed internet access does not accept anything from those IP addresses. You know, something like turning your firewall into a good and effective Peer Guardian.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

I suppose it's possible if you're willing to pay for it. But internet security is in a constant state of change so even if someone is offering an all in one solution, it will probably be obsolete tomorrow. Users need to be vigilant about internet security but it seems like too much trouble for a lot of people...until they get infected.

#3 radct25

radct25

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:05 PM

if you are using internet explorer you can use iespayad zoned out http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm as well as/or spywareblaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and/or mvps hosts file http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

#4 ShrOomiN

ShrOomiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

I suppose it's possible if you're willing to pay for it. But internet security is in a constant state of change so even if someone is offering an all in one solution, it will probably be obsolete tomorrow. Users need to be vigilant about internet security but it seems like too much trouble for a lot of people...until they get infected.

So then what I asked for is possible? Could you give me some names?

I don't think it's to much trouble it's just that some of the programs in my firewall i give complete access so they run well, but i don't like the idea of manually judging each packet as safe or dangerous. I doubt that you sit at your computer manually accepting your packets too, i bet you have some sort of convenient security set up for your firewall.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

Every firewall is different and some are more annoying than others. All of them have to be trained when you first use them. It asks you if you want to accept something and it usually gives the option to accept that packet all the time. But many users forget to check that box and then they wonder why they're still getting notifications. And some firewalls aren't intended for the casual user and aren't trainable unless you're a techie. I don't think there is an easy fix for vigilance.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

Hello ShrOomiN, You may be interested in this Tutorial

When using the Internet most people connect to web sites, ftp servers or other Internet servers by connecting to a domain name, as in www.bleepingcomputer.com. Internet applications, though, do not communicate via domain names, but rather using IP addresses, such as 192.168.1.1. Therefore when you type a domain name in your program that you wish to connect to, your application must first convert it to an IP address that it will use to connect to.

The way these hostnames are resolved to their mapped IP address is called Domain Name Resolution. On almost all operating systems whether they be Apple, Linux, Unix, Netware, or Windows the majority of resolutions from domain names to IP addresses are done through a procedure called DNS.

The Hosts File and what it can do for you

Hosts File FAQ

Edited by boopme, 24 December 2007 - 08:00 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 ShrOomiN

ShrOomiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

Every firewall is different and some are more annoying than others. All of them have to be trained when you first use them. It asks you if you want to accept something and it usually gives the option to accept that packet all the time. But many users forget to check that box and then they wonder why they're still getting notifications. And some firewalls aren't intended for the casual user and aren't trainable unless you're a techie. I don't think there is an easy fix for vigilance.

I know that i can check the box to always accept it but, how would that be safe if i just give every program complete access? You use a firewall don't you? What do you do then when you boot up your computer do you really make the decision on every pop up there is all by yourself from the start of the session to the end or do you have an easier way?

Sorry to ignore you boopme, i saw your post i'll make sure i read the faq.

Edited by ShrOomiN, 24 December 2007 - 09:09 PM.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

You have to train your firewall to accept what you want it to accept. If you're not checking that box, it will continue to notify you every time you go there. The firewall will only remember what you tell it to remember.

#9 ShrOomiN

ShrOomiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

You have to train your firewall to accept what you want it to accept. If you're not checking that box, it will continue to notify you every time you go there. The firewall will only remember what you tell it to remember.

Okay then let's put it simply let's say that you're playing a game, something that goes online, so you go into your firewall and give it complete access otherwise you'd be sitting there trying to play while pop-up after pop-up comes to you in the middle of the game. Now i doubt you like the idea of giving a big game complete access, because people with malicious intent play games as well. So then do you really find each known bad IP address and put it in your firewall so your game can not accept connections from people on known bad computers? I doubt that, because that would take a really long time and be really annoying. What would you do in this situation then? It wouldn't be smart to give something like a game you might spend two hours with complete internet access, would it?

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

I'm having trouble understanding the difficulty in your initial conundrum, yes conundrum, in the first place. How is it that you want to be so aggressive in your firewall operation with an 'advanced firewall/IP filter'(your words)? But yet want to 'dumb it down' and not be the 'advanced firewall and IP filter' you so desperately want, when it's game time? You have a conundrum, either a lesser firewall and have fun gaming, or start teaching your 'advanced firewall/IP filter' and bite the bullet and click the pop ups for a while. You can't have both, and expect either to be there for you on demand.

The issue with plug and play filtering is that those who are intent on malicious activity will not sit behind an IP for long. If it is even 'their' IP and not a spoofed one. Or a proxied one. That might actually be legitimate that you have now denied. So by the time you configure your firewall/IP filters, to play nice with your game. Those nefarious underworld types have dumped the IP you so meticulously installed for ease of play. And have moved on to the IP that you have as yet to discover. Yes it and the bad stuff of the online world moves that quickly.

Just my 2 fuzzy jujube's dug out of the sofa cushions take on the subject.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 ShrOomiN

ShrOomiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Alright thanks, sorry for putting you all through so much I was just wondering if the options were really like that, click the pop-ups, or allow it all.

Edited by ShrOomiN, 25 December 2007 - 04:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users