Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons Missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 malikah

malikah

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:54 AM

Hi, I turned my other computer on this morning only to find that most of my icons were missing (converted to the no association icon) and I could not execute most .exe files. I can't access add/remove programs but IE7 works fine. When I double click on an .exe, the icon fades as if it thinks it's a hidden file. I don't think this is a virus, but an incompatable program. I installed restorator 2005 yesterday and I think it just installed badly. Also I can't execute Add/Remove programs and MSCONFIG won't execute either. Is there something in the registry that prevents .exe files from running?

/Mod edit - Topic title edited to reflect actual problem ~rigel

Edited by rigel, 24 December 2007 - 10:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:59 AM

Try doing a System Restore to a point before you installed Restorator. You may need to boot into Safe Mode to do this if it won't work in Normal Mode.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 malikah

malikah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:17 AM

Is there a way to re-enable the exe files from registry? They're all there - even the system32 exe files - I just can't execute them. All my problems would be solved if I could execute them.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:30 AM

Did you do as suggested and try system restore?

*edited to delete the rest of my post-the issue mentioned regarding topic title has been addressed*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 December 2007 - 10:51 AM.

#5 malikah

malikah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:38 AM

No, I didn't use system restore - I think that would have been too extreme of a solution and it seems to be the "no frills" answer to everyone's computer problems these days. My first assumption was that it was a registry problem due to a poorly installed program and I was right.

SOLUTION#1:

I went here for the solution.

NOTE: If you can not run the exefix_xp.com utility and are prompted to open it with a file, navigate to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and use the command line to execute the file - it was my only option. Reeboot when you are done.

Also, some other symptoms of this problem (before I fixed it) were:
Startup programs didn't start - like antivirus, google desktop, etc. and I couldn't use folder links in the start menu like add/remove programs although, folders on my desktop worked fine. I don't think this was a virus, just a poorly installed program which messed with the registry a little.

SOLUTION#2 (maybe - I didn't try):

go here and read the 4th post

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:00 AM

We may be on different pages about what system restore is.

Budapest and I are not talking about the type of restore where you wipe the drive clean and re-install the OS.

The system restore we mean is simply choosing a point to a time before the issue began and setting the computer back to that point.

Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.

You will not lose the operating system or any files you've created after that date.
Here is an explanation of system restore:

Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur

Please edit your topic title to something descriptive of the issue.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 December 2007 - 10:09 AM.

#7 malikah

malikah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:47 AM

Ahh ok, I thought system restore would undo any installs and files I created. My mistake. How do I edit the topic title?

Edited by malikah, 26 December 2007 - 09:48 AM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:52 AM

Apparently there is no way for you to edit the topic title. If there is, I didn't find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users